Click on purple text for more information.
Weekly 15 – 60 minute individual lesson. Individual lessons are scheduled by using information supplied by families during the registration process.
Classes or Group Lessons
- Parent Classes –for parents of new beginners
- Pre-Suzuki Class or Young Beginner's Sessions—group only for a trial period
- Group Lesson—weekly 30 – 45 minute repertory class, also known as group lesson for all students are are scheduled during the 5:00 - 7:00 time frame on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Group Lesson may be replaced with:
- Performance Class—recital solo preparation class
- Reading, Theory and Other Supplemental Classes-in place of a repertory class
- Special events
- Parent sessions and meetings-scheduled throughout the year for all parents
Social, Informational or Fund Raising Events
- Fall Registration Day & fall event—held during registration to meet board members, teachers and other families
- Fund Raising Events—sponsored by the UNI Foundation or by the UNI Suzuki Association to raise funds to support the activities and mission of the Suzuki School.
- End of the year celebration—Ice Cream Social following the Honors Recital and Award Presentations
- Student Recitals-solo performance for each student, held once each semester
- Winter Holiday Play-In—Large group performance of holiday favorites followed by an informal reception
- Area Outreach Performances and Public Appearances—scheduled as opportunities arise
- Annual Spring Concert-held in May for all students to participate in large group performance.
- Suzuki School Faculty Recital-performances by Suzuki faculty and held in February for our Suzuki family.
- Honors Recital—solo performances by select students followed by social event
- Fiddlesticks and other performance groups (by audition)
- Northern Iowa Youth Orchestra (by audition for 9 – 12 grade students)
- Northern Iowa Junior Orchestra (by audition for 5 – 8 grade students)
- Viva Verismo, Verismo Sr. and Verismo (by audition or teacher recommendation for any student in book 2 and above with some music reading experience)
Contests, Auditions, Awards & Recognitions
- Honors Auditons—Held in early May
- 100 Days—Held during the spring semester
- Outreach performance recognition-award presented to those who participate in outreach performances.
- Theory Testing-held annually for students in grades 3 and up
- Helena Mullen Volunteer Recognition Award-awarded at the spring concert
- Jan Moore Senior Gift-special purchase of book or music for the school
- Graduates—seniors are recognized at the spring concert
- Founders Day Award-awarded annually
- Viola and Cello Scholars-awarded annually
Workshops and Master Classes-available as presented
Evaluations and Assessments
- Parent Teacher Conferences (January)
- Performance Classes (before fall and spring student recitals)
- Honors Auditions (optional in late April or early May)
- Theory Testing (spring)
- Individual Lesson Teacher Evaluations (ongoing)