2015-2016 Season Information
Welcome to Panther Pep Bands!
The UNI School of Music boasts two exciting Pep Bands that perform for basketball games during the fall and spring semesters. Under the administrative supervision of Dr. Danny Galyen and directed by our outstanding graduate assistants, these ensembles are an important generator of spirit at men's and women's home basketball games. Select members of this ensemble travel to post season conference and NCAA tournaments.
Membership in the Pep Bands is open to all UNI students. Student musicians representing virtually every academic discipline perform a varied and highly energized musical repertoire. A limited number of Pep Band scholarships are awarded each season by audition. Basketball Pep Band auditions are held in October. The UNI Basketball Pep Bands are spring semester classes that meet from November to March. Audition information and Schedules are below.
1. Attend the Mandatory Pep Band Meeting on Monday, September 28, 2015 at 8:40pm in the UNI Dome Stands. All information about band assignments and scholarship auditions will be discussed at this meeting. Please bring your yearly planner to this meeting so that we can discuss tournament dates.
Students who would like to be eligible for a scholarship must audition for a scholarship position. See below for audition information.
Students who would like to join the band without a scholarship may be asked to play individually in order to facilitate the assignment of parts. More information about this will be discussed at the mandatory meeting.
2. Audition sign-up sheets will be posted on the door to Room 80 in GBPAC beginning on Tuesday, September 29, 2015. Please come to Room 80 after September 30 to sign up for an audition time.
• Monday, October 5, 8:30pm-10:00pm, DOME
• Wednesday, October 7, 8:30pm-10:30pm, DOME
• Thursday, October 8, 5:00pm-8:30pm, GBPAC 64
• Drum-set auditions will be held on Thursday, October 8 from 5:00-6:00pm in the PAC drumset practice room.
For wind and bass auditions, please prepare a short piece (a pep band song is acceptable) and the UNI Fight Song (PDFs are located Here). There will be a short sight reading portion.
For drumset, you will be asked to perform the UNI Fight Song on drumset, and during the audition you will also be asked to create a drum part to accompany a recording. The recording is located here.
3. After the auditions you will be assigned to either the Purple or Gold Pep Band, and a schedule of performances for the band you are assigned will be emailed to you.
4. There will be 2 Rehearsals in October for Basketball Pep Band:
QUESTIONS about joining the Basketball Bands? Email Graduate Assistant Kami Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org