marshall center school
museums home university museum
University of Northern Iowa

ONE-ROOM SCHOOLS IN IOWA

View one-room school museums in

Northwest Iowa

Cherokee Stiles Schoolhouse Museum located at southwest corner of Silver Township, southeast of Quimby
Clay Rock Forest School, located in Heritage Area on Iowa 10 in Peterson
Dickinson Westport Rural Schoolhouse, Kenu Park, 2251 170th St., Okoboji, IA 51355
Emmett Bolstead School, located on the county fairgrounds in Estherville
Franklin Wisner Township School, located at Loomis Memorial Park, 4 miles north and 2 miles east of Alexander

Maysville School, two-story limestone building on National Historical Register, used a school and church, now polling place, 6 miles south of Hampton on US 65 and 1/2 mile east on 110th St, 515-456-2959

Fairview School in Franklin County Fairgrounds, Hampton
Ida Grant Center School #5 in Moorehead Pioneer Park, Ida Grove, on US 59 and Iowa 175
Lyon One-Room School, located in Lake Pahoja County Park, off US 18 near Inwood
O'Brien Center Township #3 School in Heritage Park of Primghar
Osceola One-Room School, located in Osceola County Fairgrounds, Sibley, off Iowa 60
Palo Alto Carter School, located in West Bend on Iowa 15
Plymouth Steele School, now part of Plymouth County Historical Complex on US 75 south
Sioux Orange City School located in the center of town, off Iowa 10

Hawarden, Shoemaker School, Logan Township # 2, located in Calliope Village

Kemper School, 301 Ash Street, Ireton, Iowa 51027

Sioux Center, Capel #5 located in Heritage Village

North Central Iowa

Cerro Gordo

School moved to Kinney Pioneer Museum on US 18 near Mason City

Owens Grove #3 at North iowa Fairground on US 18 west of Mason City

Hamilton Harmony Center School in the Wilson-Brewer Park, Webster City, just off Main Street
Hancock Erin (township) #5, on Iowa 111, 4 miles south of Britt
Howard

Saratoga #4 or Buresh School, used by students from Ricefield and Cresco, privately owned by the Buresh farms, Riceville

New Oregon #8, home school, Dr. Norman Borlaug on his home farm 12 miles south and west of Cresco on 200th St

School on Howard County Fairgrounds

Humboldt Willow School, located on the Old Mill Farm on the east side of the Des Moines River near Dakota City, off Iowa 3
Mitchell

Union District #1, Mitchell County Fairgrounds, Chestnut St, Osage, US 218 and Iowa 9, 515-732-1269

Cedar #7, built in 1857, 3272 Foothill Ave, village of Morea

Burr Oak #3, school no more, attended by Hamlin Garland, included in A Daughter of the Middle Border

Webster Border Plains School, located at the Fort Museum, Highways 20 and 169 on the southwest edge of Fort Dodge
Worth Swensrud School, built in 1974, moved to Central Part, south of Northwood, at US 63 and 105th St, just south of the Worth County Museum
Wright Lake Township #6 in the downtown city park in Clarion, on Iowa 3
 

Northeast Iowa

Allamakee

Liston #4, c/o George Ashbacher, 416 Hwy 76, Harpers Ferry, IA 52146, 319-586-2721

Hanson School, south edge of Waukon, next to Sweeney House of Clocks Museum

Little Red Schoolhouse, Allamakee County Fairgrounds, Waukon, on Iowa 9 and 78, built in 1874

Lyeurgus School, one of the few two-story stone schoolhouses left in Iowa

Black Hawk

Marshall Center School, Pocahontas County, part of UNI Museum, near University of Northern Iowa Schindler Education Center, on 23rd St., Cedar Falls, off Iowa 58

Bennington Township #4, north and east of Waterloo; on National Register of Historic Places

'R' Little Red Schoolhouse, Bennington Township #5 in Cedar Falls on 1st and Washington Streets on Iowa 57

Bennington Township #6, Cattle Congress Grounds, off US 218 and University Avenue to Greenhill Drive, and then to Rainbow Drive

Bremer

Warren #9, located in North Park in Tripoli

St. John's Lutheran School, Village of Maxfield, north and east of Denver, 319-984-5767

Butler

Pittsford #3, moved to courthouse grounds in Allison in 1957. 1888; since 1916 painted yellow, 319-267-2255

Chickasaw

Chickasaw District #1 Country School in Fredricksburg

Jacksonville #12 in Adolph Munson Park, 3 1/2 miles north of New Hampton on US 63, then 4 1/2 miles east at 170th St and Quinlan Ave

Two schools relocated to Bradford Village Museum near Little Brown Church, IA 346 north of Nashua; Bradford #6 School for Students, Greenwood School Antiques

Clayton

Clayton Two-Story Limestone School on National Historical Register, village of Clayton on Mississippi River, east of US 52

Giard #5, at Old Froelich Restoration, 1 mile west of junction of US 52 and US 18

Pioneer Village School in Clayton County Conservation Center at Osbourne, 6 miles south of Elkader on IA 13

Froelich School Museum from 1866, corner of US 18 and US 52

Musfeld #1 in Plagmens Barn Museum 2 miles east of Garber

Delaware

McGee School, brick, 1868 to 1952; one of the schools when Sara Gillespie Haftalen taught; listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arbor Vitae Summit School

Pleasant Hill Red Schoolhouse on Honey Creek Road (D13), 5 miles north of Manchester

Milo #7, part of nine-building historical complex in Hopkinton near IA 38

Dubuque

Humke School, located on the grounds of the Ham House Museum, 2241 Lincoln Ave. Dubuque

Oak Grove School on 2nd Ave, one block south of US 20 in Cascade

Olberding School on Digman Road, 11 miles SE of Dubuque

Fayette

Union #5, Pleasant Ridge School, on the Fayette County Fairgrounds, South Vine St, West Union

Dover #6, 7281 Great River Road, near Clermont

Center #6 in Waucoma, 319-776-6441

School just west of the Methodist Church in Arlington on Iowa 187

Floyd

Cedar #2, used as school for Mennonites, 7 miles north of Charles City near 110th St and Shadow Rd

Ulster #3, 7 miles west of Charles City on IA 14, near T38, open with annual Steam Engine Grain Harvesting

Grundy

Colfax #9, Herbert Quick Schoolhouse, located in Orion Park on G Avenue Green in Grundy Center on Iowa 175

Colfax #3, Grundy County Historical School, off Iowa 175, in Morrison

Jackson

Bridgeport School, located 1 1/2 miles northeast of Maquoketa on Iowa 62

Canton School, stone school built in 1877; on National Register of Historic Places, south edge of Canton

Millrock School, on National Register of Historic Places, south of Baldwin on 59th Ave

Elk River #3, restored and moved to Great River Threshers grounds in Miles

Winneshiek

Locust School, on National Register of Historic Places, built 1854, used to 1960, 10 miles north of Decorah on W 38 and A 26 near the Saint John's Lutheran Church

Highlandville School, 20 miles northeast of Decorah on A24, built in 1911, two classrooms

Frankville School, 1872 to 1962, on National Register of Historic Places, 2-story stone building

Bousha School, built in 1853 for Bohemian settlers; moved as visitor's center for Bily Clock Museum in Spillville

Rovang Parochial School, about 1879, log schoolhouse next to Vesterheim Museum in Decorah

 

Central Iowa

Greene Minnehan School, located on Greene County Fairgrounds in Jefferson
Guthrie

Cass #7 at the Guthrie Co. Historical Village in Panora, Iowa

Baker #2 at the Guthrie Co. Fairgrounds

Hardin Goose Creek School, at the Hardin County Farm Museum, north edge of Eldora
Madison

North River Stone Schoolhouse in Winterset

Tusha Country School and Log School, both located at the Madison County Historical Complex in Winterset

Marion Pleasant Ridge Schoolhouse, located in Marion County Park on the west edge of Knoxville
Marshall Taylor #4, Weatherbee School Museum, 50 North End Ave, Marshalltown, 515-752-6664
Polk

Sheldall School replica, at Living History Farms, Urbandale, on US 6 off Interstate 35

Old North Lincoln School, Heritage Village, Iowa State Fairgrounds

Poweshiek

4-H Club Historic Site on County road in Southeast Grinnell

Malcom #6, used from 1879 to 1965, part of Heritage Park Museum on County Fairgrounds in IA146 south of Grinnell

Story

Hally School, at 4-H grounds in Nevada

Sherman Township #5, on E29, 1 mile west of US 65

Warren Mount Hope Schoolhouse, on fairgrounds, west edge of Indianola
 

Southwest Iowa

Adair

Old Grand River #3 is located on county fairgrounds in Greenfield Harrison #8, Greenfield Historical complex on west edge of town on Iowa 92

Summerset #3 on land of Dean and Jean Cooper, two miles north of Fontennelle on County Rd. N 72

Adams Former Icarian School is located on 6th St., west edge of Corning
Audubon One Room Schoolhouse, museum and windmills in Northern Hamlin Park, edge of Audubon, Iowa 71
Benton

Benton #7 on Upper Ston, listed on National Register of Historical Places, now used as home; 5 1/2 miles north of Shellsburg on W26 and one mile west on 58 St Dr

Carroll Red Schoolhouse in Carroll City Park
Cass Schoolhouse Museum located in Sunnyside Park at Atlantic
Crawford Little Red Schoolhouse, adjacent to US 59, 4 1/2 miles south of Dennison
Fremont Sunnyside School, located in Fremont County Historical Museum, Sidney, Restored in 1969 by Fremont County Farm Bureau Women
Harrison West Boyer Valley High School, located in Historical Village on US 30 between Logan and Missouri Valley
Mills

West Liberty #2. Mills County Museum, Glenwood Lake Park, Glennwood, off U.S. 34

Indian Creek historical Museum, between Emerson and Hastings, IA, 1/4 mile south of Hwy 34

Montgomery

Montgomery County Historical Society One-Room School, Red Oak, off U.S. 34

One-room schoolhouse on Main Street in Stanton

Page Goldenrod School, located on the Page County Fairgrounds, Clarinda
Ringgold Hazel Glenn Rural School, part of the Ringgold County Pioneer Center, Ellston, on P 64 Q
Taylor One-Room School in Taylor County Historical Museum, west side of Bedford, on Iowa 2
Union Lincoln #5, part of the Union County Historical Society's complex in McKinley Park in Creston
 

South Central Iowa

Boone Hickory Grove School, located in the Don Williams Recreation Area 8 miles north of Ogden on county road P70
Clarke Pleasant Ridge, Knox Township School, Clarke County Historical Grounds, Osceola, on US 69
Lucas Puckerbrush School, located on Lucas County Historical Society grounds in Chariton, 17th and Braden, one block north of US 34
Wayne Little Red Schoolhouse, 1 mile north of Lineville on US 65
 

Southeast Iowa

Cedar

1st West Branch School at Herbert Hoover National Historic Site, West Branch, 319-643-2541

Red Oak #1, also known as Bedbug School, moved to Cedar County Fairgrounds, Tipton, in 1989

Clinton Flannery relocated to Soaring Eagles Nature Center on edge of Eagle Point Park northwest of Clinton
Davis Old Center School, one block east of square at Bloomfield
Des Moines Zion School, located 7 1/2 miles southwest of Mediapolis off Iowa 61
Henry West Pleasant Lawn School, Colfax School and Oakridge School all are on the Old Settlers and Threshers grounds at Mt. Pleasant and part of 33 structures maintained by the Midwest Thresher's Association
Iowa

Gritter School, brick school used 1874-1956, 3 miles west of North English and 1/2 mile off the Millersburg North English road (county F 67)

Oak Grove School in Sumner Township, maintained as tribute to a former teacher, Mary Voghtman

Jasper Rock Creek #7 relocated to Kellogg Historical Museum in Kellogg, 2 miles north of I80, exit 173
Jefferson Peach Blossom School(Cedar #6) located in Round Prairie Park, County Conservation Board Park, southeast of Fairfield
Johnson

Coralville School, 2-story brick, 1876-1950, now called Heritage Museum of Johnson County, one mile south and 3 blocks west of I80 on Exit 242

Stone Academy, 1842-1953, on National Register of Historic Places, 2 miles north of Solon, Iowa #1 and Iowa 382

Jones

Antioch School, attended by Grant Wood, on National Register of Historic Places, located in Grant Wood Memorial Park, 4 miles south of Anamosa on US 64

Old Sutton School in Jones County Historical Site, near Jones county Home, 2 miles east of Amber on E23

Castle Grove #9, Hardscrabble School, since 1870s with more Indian than White students, 7 miles west of Monticello on D62 and 1 1/2 miles north M225 Ave

Keokuk White Oak #5, located in Belva-Dear Park, 5 miles northeast of Sigourney Lancaster #1, two-story wood frame, used 1883-1968, 3 miles south of Sigourney on Iowa 149, 1 mile east on VSG
Lee

Galland School, located 3 miles south of Montrose near the original site along the Mississippi (a replica)

Hickory Grove School, on US 61 & US 218, north of Keokuk

Linn

Abbe Creek School, located on E-4, 2 miles northwest of Mount Vernon in Abbe Creek School Museum Area

Cherry Valley School, Pleasant Prairie #6 (interpreted as Grange Hall) and the old College Township Hall, oricinally built in the 1870s as the old "Center School" at Ushers Ferry in Seminole Valley Park, north of Cedar Rapids, 42nd St exit off I380, west on Edgewater Rd to Seminole Valley Rd, 319-286-5763, www.ufhv.com

Mahaska Prine School, located in Nelson Homestead Pioneer Farm and Craft Museum, 3 miles northeast of Oskaloosa, off US 63
Muscatine Melpin #5 in Wildcat Den State Park, south of US 61 on Y26
Scott

Long Grove, Butler #2, part of Walnut Grove Pioneer Village; Scott County Park, 9 miles north of Davenport off US 61, 319-285-9903

Davenport District #9 now on Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds, 319-226-5338

Butler #3, replica of school destroyed by fire in 1975; Prt of William F. (Buffalo Bill) Cod's boyhood home; I80 exit 301, left on Middle Rd, under I80 to Z30, left on Z30 for 7 miles to Bluff Rd, left for 1 1/2 miles, Corny bluff and 230 Ave, 319-225-2981

Old Pleasant School, from LeClair, north on IA 67, west on territorial Rd (F51), 319-289-4413

Stone School on National Register of Historic Places, 1 mile west of LeClair, built in 1866

Washington

"Straw College", in historical village at Kalona, Iowa #1 and Iowa 22

Walnut School near Kalona just off Iowa #1, not open as a museum, but is well worth a stop. Picture 2

 

 

doris mitchellMarshall Center School Contact:
Doris Mitchell, Secretary
319-273-2188 or doris.mitchell@uni.edu

Links of interest bar

Marshall Center School history
One-room school memories
One-room schools resource list

university museum

marshall center school