down arrowMenu

Military and Veteran Student Services

Facebook Twitter

Mission: Our role is to support military members, veterans, and their families at UNI as they transition between military duty, college, and new careers. We are committed to faculty and staff education, on and off campus resource networking, advocacy, and listening to each student to ensure that each military affiliated students' voice is heard and they are empowered to achieve success in class and beyond.

Policy for Military Personnel Called to Active Duty


Students who are called to active duty during an academic term will be given an option to have grades "R" (No Report) or "I" (Incomplete) assigned to each of their courses. This option is available on a course-by-course basis as well as to their entire registration. The assigning of an "Incomplete" is by mutual consent of the faculty member and the student. If the call up occurs late in the term, the faculty member also has the option of assigning a final grade rather than the "I" grade.

Tuition, mandatory fees, and related course fees will be canceled or refunded-in full- for all courses dropped with an "R." Courses in which the grade of "I" or a final grade is assigned will have applicable tuition and course fees assessed.


1. Grades

A. Regardless of the date of withdrawal, the student will be given the choice of receiving grades "R" or "I."

B. This may be done on an individual course-by-course basis, or for the entire registration.

C. If the student requests an Incomplete (I), the student should be reminded of completion dates and the possibility of an extension in the assignment of the Incomplete grades.

D. If the call up occurs late in the term, faculty members, if they so choose, may assign a final grade for the course.

2. Tuition

A. Regardless of when the student withdraws, the student will receive 100% refund of tuition for all dropped courses. Tuition will be charged for courses kept with assigned incomplete or final grades.

B. All individual cases must be coordinated with the Office of Student Financial Aid, the Controller's Office, and the Veterans Certification official in the Office of the Registrar to address any overpayment and other financial considerations with Federal or Veterans Administration funding.

3. Housing

A. Spouses and/or children of affected military personnel may continue to reside in family housing.


If you live on campus, we strongly encourage you to initiate a discussion with the Department of Residence, in particular, we encourage you to speak with your Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) and/or Resident Assistant (RA).