Policies and Procedures
Union | Table
of Contents | Index
1200. POLITICAL ACTIVITIES
1201.1 Recognized student organizations, University departments, and public groups may reserve Maucker Union space for political activities.
1201.1.1 Partisan political activities are defined as those activities which:
1201.1.2 Non-partisan political activities are defined as those activities for which:
- have as their purpose the endorsement, support, or advancement of a politically affiliated cause, organization, party, or candidate; and which
- do not provide equal representation of all views or candidates related to the political debate, campaign, election or ballot issue.
- an invitation to participate has been extended to all parties, candidates, or organizations related to all sides of the cause; and at which
- Campaign fundraising is prohibited; and at which
- the activity consists of panel discussions, speeches, question and answer sessions or similar communications in an academic-oriented setting, and is not conducted as a campaign rally or event.
1201.2 Activities related to Northern Iowa Student Government student elections are not considered political activities subject to fees or charges under this policy.
1201.3 The routine business and planning meetings of politically-based student organizations are not considered political activities subject to fees or charges under this policy.
1201.4 Partisan political activities sponsored by recognized student organizations and University departments will be charged rental fees at the C Group rate. For non-partisan activities sponsored by recognized student organizations and University departments, the rental fees will be waived.
1201.5 An explicit statement shall made in all printed materials related to the political activity, and at the event itself, stating that the University of Northern Iowa does not support or oppose the candidate or viewpoint being presented.
1201.6 Regular maintenance, set-up and equipment use fees will be applied according to the Maucker Union fee schedule.
1201.7 Political activities sponsored by public groups will be charged the full C Group rental fee.
1201.8 All parties sponsoring political activities are required to follow all other relevant Maucker Union policies.
1202.1 All rental fees must be paid in advance, at the time of reservation.
1202.2 Any predetermined charges must be paid in full prior to the start of the event.
1202.3 Failure to pay rental fees or other charges will result in cancellation of the event.