Nearly everyone in the U.S. must pay federal income tax. In addition, State of Iowa collects income taxes. An income tax return is a report that you must make to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of the U.S. Government for any calendar year when you earn income in the United States. Fortunately, you do not need to do these alone. Free help is available! Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program helps international students prepare income tax returns. VITA was established by the Internal Revenue Service to help low income people who may find it difficult to pay for tax preparation services. The program also provides accounting students an experiential learning opportunity as they work with taxpayers. For more information, please go to during the tax season January 1 - April 15. 

If you earned income in the U.S., you will need to file an income tax return with the U.S. government, specifically with the IRS. Income taxes can be confusing and complicated, so you are encouraged to seek free assistance from the VITA volunteers. Be sure to bring your W-2 form from UNI and any other tax forms you have received. You will also need your I-20 or DS-2019 form, your passport and I-94 card.
If you did not have a job, you should still file IRS form 8843, available here: You will only need to complete Part I and Part III before signing at the bottom of the form and sending it to the IRS at the address indicated in the instructions.
April 15 is the deadline for filing all tax returns!