Social Security/Employment

International Students at UNI will have the opportunity to apply for a Social Security Number after being hired for an on-campus job, or if they have been awarded a graduate assistantship. Social Security Numbers are issued for employment purposes only. The Social Security Administration requires proof of employment at UNI before they will accept an application for a Social Security Number.

How to Get Social Security Number and Social Security Card
To get an original number and card, you'll first need to be hired for an on-campus job or be awarded a graduate assistantship. The next step is for you to meet with Ms. Jan Rogers in the payroll office. You may schedule an appointment to meet with her by calling 273-6212. She will complete some paperwork that will be sent to the Student Employment Office here at UNI, then to International Services. When it has been signed by Ross Schupbach, the International Student Advisor, you will be contacted by telephone or e-mail. You will then be able to make arrangements for International Services to transport you to the Social Security Administration office in Waterloo, or you would be free to go there on your own to apply. You will need to complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5), and show your I-20 or DS-2019 form, your passport, visa and I-94 card. You must submit your application in person at the Social Security Administration Office located at 3121 Greyhound Drive in Waterloo.
To get an application:
Use on the Internet
Pick one up at International Services
Call 1-800-772-1213
Or, visit a local office
There is no charge to get a Social Security card. This service is FREE.

How to Replace Your Social Security Card
To get a duplicate card because yours was lost or stolen, or a corrected card because you have changed your name, call or visit your local Social Security office to use this FREE service. You'll need to:
Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
Show evidence of your identity. If you need a corrected card, we need to see one or more documents which identify you by the old name on our records and your new name. The document showing your current identity must be of recent issuance so that we can determine your continued existence.
Show evidence of your U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were born outside the U.S.
Your duplicate card will have the same name and number as your previous card. Your corrected card will have your new name and the same number as your previous card.

Proving Your Identity
Some documents that are acceptable to prove your identity are:
Driver’s license
Employer ID card
School ID card
Marriage or divorce record

Protect Your Social Security Number and Records
Your Social Security number is used to keep a record of your earnings. Here are some things you can do to protect your earnings record and to make sure it is accurate:
Keep your number and card in a safe place to prevent theft
Show your card to your employer voluntarily when you start a job, so your records are correct. Don't rely on your memory
Check your name and Social Security number on your pay stub and W-2 form to make sure they are correct
Notify us every time you change your name

Providing Your Number to Others
If a business or other enterprise asks you for your Social Security number, you can refuse to give it to them. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for your Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify their customers by alternative means.
Giving your number is voluntary even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask:
Why your number is needed
How your number will be used
What happens if you refuse
What law requires you to give your number

The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours. Our primary message is this - be careful with your Social Security number and your card to prevent their misuse. If you think someone is misusing your number, ask us for the leaflet, When Someone Misuses Your Number (Publication No. 05-10064).

What to Do Once You Receive Your Social Security Card
Take your card to the Registrar’s office so that they can update your main UNI student record.
If you are employed on campus, you must also take your card to Jan Rogers in the UNI payroll office as well as your job supervisor. 
If you are a graduate student, you must also notify the UNI Human Resources Office.


Most international students are eligible to work part-time on campus when jobs are available. There are many job opportunities on the UNI campus for students with student (F) visas or exchange visitor (J) visas to work. The pay is usually in the range of $7.50 - $9.50 per hour. F and J visa holders are not authorized to work off campus as a means of support except under extraordinary circumstances. An online job board can be viewed

With questions about working off-campus or Optional Practical Training, please contact International Services Office