International Scholars

Crisis/Emergency Guidance for International Students and Scholars

Crisis/Emergency Guidance for International Students and Scholars

Getting a Social Security Number

First, fill out a form to request a letter of support from the Immigration and Advising Coordinator.  Then, take this letter along with your immigration documents (passport, DS-2019, and I-94) to the Social Security Office to apply.  Ater about 10-14 days, your Social Security card will arrive in the mail.

Finding a School for your Child 

The Cedar Falls Community School District has 6 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 1 high school and other early childhood centers in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

The Waterloo Community School District has 11 elementary schools, 4 middle schools, and 2 high schools and other early childhood centers in Waterloo, Iowa.

For more information, please visit the Child Care page.

Owning and Operating a Car

You may find information on owning and operating a car on the Transportation page.

Department of Motor Vehicles (driver's license and vehicle registration) 2060 Crossroads Blvd Waterloo IA 319-235-0902

Iowa Department of Transportation 800 Lincoln Way Ames IA 515-239-1101

Vehicle registration is required and can be purchased at the Iowa Vehicle Registration Center in the Crossroads Shopping Center.  

Buying a car from an independent individual could often be cheaper than buying once from the car dealership (store). However, there is no warranty on the car at the time of purchase. To purchase from an individual, look for good bargains advertised in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier, the HomeTowner, Craigslist or check out the list on transportation page.

For more information please visit the following pages: