*The links to non-UNI Internet sites are provided for your convenience and do not constitute an endorsement. Users are encouraged to use search engines and to visit UNI faculty and staff to identify additional information and resources.*
Airfare & Lodging -Explore and compare international student airfares, special hotel and travel deals, get tips for traveling abroad and in the U.S., and find the best shopping, dining, and sightseeing options.
- Casamundo - Casamundo offers a selection of more than 50,000 holiday homes and holiday cottages in Great Britain and Europe to holiday makers and also students.
- CheapFlights.com - Cheapflights has been around since 1996 in the U.K. and 2003 in the United States. It offers a wide range of deals on airline tickets.
- Hostelling International USA - America's largest network of quality hostels and the U.S. affiliate of the global organization Hostelling International, with more than 4,000 hostels in over 60 countries.
- Lonely Planet - Lonely Planet features a gallery of pictures from all over the world and intriguing stories about each destination, along with practical information on national currency, health and safety, and immigration rules, recommendation for shopping, dining, and lodging.
- Orbitz - Orbitz is a leading online travel company that uses innovative technology to enable leisure and business travelers to research, plan, and book a broad range of travel products.
- STA - Cheap flights for students and teachers; airfare, hostel, and rail discounts also.
- Student Universe - Student Universe is an online student travel agency with cheap tickets.
- Travelocity - The world is yours to travel! Cheap airfare, hotels, vacations, cruises & car rentals.
- Unterkunft.de - Unterkunft.de compares vacation houses, homes and apartments of every category and price range. This site is particularly relevant for student holidays, since groups wishing to go on holiday together can typically save the most money, avoiding the often overpriced offers made by foreign hotels.
- Eurail Passes - Eurail, also known as Eurorail, offers rail passes for train travel in Europe. With a Eurail Pass you can travel on trains throughout Europe.
Currency Conversion - Currency conversion calculators use the most up-to-date foreign exchange rates and, together with foreign per diem rates, give a realistic idea of how much money is going to be needed in every country of visit.
- Universal Currency Converter - The Universal Currency Converter® contains the top 85 currencies sorted by country name - listing the ten most popular currencies first.
- U.S. Department of State: Foreign Per Diem Rates - Current foreign per diem rates by location.
- CNN Money Converter - CNN Money features world currencies rates and currency converter.
- FX Converter: Daily OANDA Rates - FXConverter is a multilingual currency converter for over 164 currencies and 3 metals.
Health & Safety - It is important to be informed about necessary immunizations and travel safety rules before leaving to a foreign country. Get competent assistance with planning a safe trip and stay healthy abroad.
- UNI Student Health Clinic - The Student Health Clinic will assist you in planning a safe and healthy trip.
- U.S. Department of State International Travel for US Citizens - The State Department’s Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management (ACS) administers the Consular Information Program, which informs the public of conditions abroad that may affect their safety and security. Country specific information, travel alerts, and travel warnings are vital parts of this program.
- Center for Global Education Student Study Abroad Handbook - The Student Study Abroad handbook provides resources and preparation tips for students considering study abroad.
- Center for Global Education SAFETI - The SAFETI (Safety Abroad First - Educational Travel Information) develops and disseminates resources to support study abroad program development and implementation, emphasizing issues of health and safety.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Travelers’ Health - CDC Travelers' Health offers information to assist travelers and their health-care providers in deciding the vaccines, medications, and other measures necessary to prevent illness and injury during international travel.
- Country Watch - Country Watch provides critical country-specific intelligence and data through its suite of products to over 4000 clients including public and private sector organizations with overseas operations and global interests.
- HostelBookers.com - Travel safety for students: using common sense and understanding how to handle different situations can help you stay safe while still being able to take in the entire experience, and come away with something you will never forget.
- Weather - Celsius or Fahrenheit? Look up the weather conditions and temperature where you are and wherever you are heading.
Immigration - Since understanding U.S. immigration laws can be challenging, this section provides visa information for temporary visitors and the web sites of U.S. Embassies for further inquiries.
- U.S. Department of State Visas - Welcome to the Visa section of travel.state.gov, an official source of information about the U.S. visa policy and procedures. Use this site to learn about different types of U.S. visas, the application process, and to better understand the requirements when applying for a visa, when you are planning to travel to the U.S.
- U.S. Department of State Websites of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions - The State Department presents the list of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions by world region.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services - Student Visa Information on F and M visa categories for students and host institutions.
- International Student Exchange Programs - J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Immigration terms and rules for J1 exchange visitors.
- Encryption and International Travel Information - Information on traveling internationally with an encrypted laptop.
- International Travel with Computers and Other Electronic Devices - Traveling outside the US with laptops, tablets, smart phones or storage devices involves special considerations and may require an export license.
- U.S. Department of State Education USA Predeparture Information - EducationUSA actively promotes U.S. higher education around the world by offering accurate, unbiased, comprehensive, and timely information about education institutions and guidance on how to best access those opportunities.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Learn about regulations.
- Time Zones - Current local times around the world.
Insurance -Health insurance is a must when traveling abroad. International students and visitors are required to have health insurance for the duration of their stay in the U.S. Learn about healthcare and medical assistance provided internationally and find the health insurance plan that is right for you.
- Harbour Group - As a specialized insurance broker, The Harbour Group provides comprehensive medical insurance for international students, scholars, and customized student health insurance plans for colleges and universities, exchange organizations and government agencies.
- HTH Worldwide - HTH Worldwide is a recognized leader in international student health insurance and medical assistance services, serving hundreds of thousands of student travelers annually.
- International SOS - International SOS is the world’s leading provider of medical assistance, international healthcare, security services and outsourced customer care.
- Travel Guard - With more than 20 years of industry experience, Travel Guard is America's leading travel insurance plan provider. They specialize in providing innovative travel insurance, assistance and emergency travel service plans for millions of travelers and thousands of companies throughout the world.
- Travel Insurance Center - Their Policy Picker® makes it easy to quote, compare, buy, and save on travel insurance packages offered by leading travel insurance companies. They represent major travel insurance providers and feature the best travel protection plans available.
Maps - Planning your trip is easier with a map. Get driving directions, international metro system maps, and learn more about your destination.
- CIA World Factbook - The World Factbook is a collection of reference information on every country.
- Mapquest - Search maps and get directions.
- Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection - Maps of continents, countries, territories, regions, oceans and seas.
News & Communication - Follow your home country’s news or read world press in its native language via -online newspapers and look up international dialing codes.
- Online Newspapers - Thousands of world newspapers at your fingertips.
- International Dialing Codes - Country Codes, IDD (International Direct Dialing) prefixes, and NDD (National Direct Dialing) prefixes.
- Phone Directory - Find anyone anywhere in the world.
- PhoneFinder - Search for the U.S., Canadian, or international telephone numbers.
Passport & Visa Information - Domestic students and faculty traveling abroad will find useful information on the passport application process, entry document requirements by country, etc.
- U.S. Department of State Foreign Entry Requirements - Country Specific Information is available for every country of the world.
- U.S. Department of State Passport Info - Apply or renew a U.S. passport, report a stolen U.S. Passport, change information to your U.S. Passport.
- Electronic Embassy - The Electronic Embassy provides information on each of the embassies in Washington D.C., with links to Web-based resources where available.
- Passports and Visas - This is a nationally recognized U.S. passport and visa service that works with the U.S. Passport Agency to obtain U.S. passport application in as little as 24 hours.
- Perry International - Review international travel requirements and secure passports, visas, legalizations, and translations.
- Travel Documents System - TDS is a leading visa and passport processing agency.
Cities of Cedar Falls & Waterloo
- Waterloo Regional Airport - The Waterloo Regional Airport is located in Waterloo 6 miles from UNI.
- Dolly's Taxi Service - Dolly’s Taxi is a locally owned and operated Taxi Cab Service proudly serving the Cedar Valley and beyond. We are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- First Call Taxi & Courier Service - First Call Taxi & Courier Service provides taxi services including airport transfers to those who need a quick and efficient ride.
- The Eastern Iowa Airport - The Eastern Iowa Airport is located in Cedar Rapids approximately 70 miles from UNI.
- Airport Shuttle Service -Provides shuttle service to and from the Eastern Iowa Airport, and door to door service from the airport to residences, businesses and hotels in and around Eastern Iowa.
- Met Transit - The Cedar Valley metropolitan bus service/public transportation.
- Greyhound Bus Lines - Long distance bus transportation.
- Avis - Rental Car Service. (To rent a vehicle, you must be at least 21 years of age, have a current Iowa or international driver's license, and have a major credit card.)
- Enterprise - Rental Car Service.
- Hertz - Rental Car Service.
- Panther Shuttle - UNI’s free shuttle bus; however, the routes and schedules are limited, so please be prepared to walk long distances.
Iowa Driver’s License
- Iowa Department of Transportation - If interested, you may obtain an Iowa Driver’s License.
Social Security Number
- Social Security Administration - The US government requires a 9-digit identification number (Social Security Number-SSN) for all financial transactions. Application for the SSN should occur between the 2nd and 3rd week after arrival, with the SSN card arriving within 2 to 12 weeks of application.
Living Arrangements - On and off campus
- UNI Housing may be arranged on campus.
- Off campus housing is available and within walking distance of campus.
- Black Hawk Hotel - conveniently located off-campus for temporary lodging.
- Country Inn & Suites - conveniently located off-campus for temporary lodging.
Information Technology Services
- ITS - For assistance with internet, phone and video connections on campus.
Cellular and Wireless Phone Providers
Mailing and Shipping
- FedEx - Offers solutions, resources, and support for international shipping.
- DHL - Offers international shipping.
- The United States Postal Service - Offers mailing and shipping, domestic and international.
Financial and Banking Information
With proper identification (passport, visa, I-94, DS-2019), a personal bank account may be opened at a local bank without a social security number. Some banks may require a social security number within 90-days of opening an account or the account will be frozen.
Taxation of Stipends and/or Inkind
- UNI Office of Business Operations - Financial compensations from UNI may be taxed by the US Treasury. Additional information is available from the UNI Office of Business Operations.
- Crossroads Mall, Waterloo - Featuring Sears, Bath & Body Works, Kay Jewelers, Claire's and several specialty shops. It also has a carousel and a movie theater.
- College Square Mall, Cedar Falls - Home to the area’s only Von Maur department store. UniversiTees, American Eagle Outfitters, Younkers, and Victoria's Secret are among the other stores. There is also a movie theater and a Planet Fitness.
- Hy-Vee Food Store, Cedar Falls - HyVee offers fresh produce, and meat, a bakery, flower shop, pharmacy and a nice restaurant.
- Wal-mart, Cedar Falls - Local department store offering a wide range of groceries and household items.