Waterloo Expansion

Home Introduction Founders Early Years Expansion Problems Waterloo Waterloo Expansion Downfall Notes Sources

horizontal rule

     Between 1901 and 1907, many facilities were constructed to accommodate Chautauqua participants. "In 1901 wholesale grocer Courtland F. Fowler sponsored an open classroom shelter, matching WCTU [local granting organization] funds. Named for Mrs. Julia Fowler, the 'Hall in the Grove' had large classical columns and a certain monstrous dignity. In 1905 the WCTU (Women's Christian Temperance Union) built Willard Hall, a combination assembly hall and women's dormitory. The $12,500 coliseum in 1906, a replacement for the 1890's amphitheater, capped the construction of the complex."10  The new coliseum added to the excitement of the park. Not only did people come for the lectures, they came to see the architecture. They now could enjoy famous orators under this massive shelter.  Although new buildings and fine speakers could still bring people in, new technologies would soon put a damper on the Chautauqua movement.


Inside Coliseum

horizontal rule

Back Next