Scholarships Awarded at UNI
The University of Northern Iowa offers scholarships each year to deserving students, on the basis of merit and/or achievement. Applying for scholarships at UNI has never been easier. Incoming students will be considered for a variety of scholarships upon admission. Each of the following scholarships remain available to newly admitted students who meet the criteria: Distinguished Scholars Award, Multicultural Scholars Award, Out of State Scholars Award, Out of State Legacy Award, and Good Neighbor Award. Learn more about 2016-2017 Admission Scholarships.
The UNI Scholarship Application is yet another way for students to be considered for scholarships. This streamlined application allows students to apply for hundreds of scholarships within one application. The priority deadline for all UNI scholarships is January 15, 2017.
- Students can still complete the application following the priority deadline. Consideration of late applications would be done in the event that scholarships are still available.
- Scholarship selection is competitive; not all applicants will receive a scholarship.
- Scholarships require full-time enrollment and maintaining specific grade point requirements.
- The UNI Scholarship Application allows both current and incoming students to apply for scholarships available in specific majors and other University departments. Incoming students must apply to UNI before they are eligible to apply for scholarships. Many additional scholarships are awarded at the time of admission.
- The UNI Scholarship Directory is also a helpful tool designed to assist students in searching for scholarships.
Current Undergraduate Students
- For the upcoming year, be sure to complete the UNI Scholarship Application The application is available between July 1 and April 1. Be sure to renew your FAFSA starting January 1 to be considered for need-based scholarships.
- UNI Sophomores can apply for the Roy J. Carver Scholarship. Deadline April 1.
- Graduate students should visit the Graduate College and their department regarding scholarship opportunities
Off Campus Scholarships
Start your scholarship search early in your high school career. Search within your high school and community for additional scholarships. Check into opportunities with your high school guidance office, places of employment, civic or religious organizations and businesses in the community. While your hometown may be the best place to start, don't forget about other off-campus opportunities. Remember that all scholarship searches/applications should be free of charge!
Below are some websites we recommend:
- The UNI Scholarship Directoryis used by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to post UNI specific scholarships and off-campus scholarships our office has been notified of. It is not a complete list of off-campus scholarships. Remember to complete the UNI Scholarship Application to be considered for UNI scholarships.
- The (Teacher Education and Compensation Helps) Early Childhood IOWA is a comprehensive scholarship program that provides the early childhood workforce access to educational opportunities and is helping establish a well-qualified, fairly compensated and stable workforce for our children. Please visit to learn more about this state of Iowa funded scholarship.T.E.A.C.H.www.iowaaeyc.org/teach.cfm
- Veterans - http://www.moneygeek.com/education/college/resources/financial-aid-guide-for-veterans/
- Students with disabilities - http://www.moneygeek.com/education/college/resources/scholarship-guide-for-students-with-disabilities/
- Careers in high demand - http://www.moneygeek.com/education/college/resources/financial-aid-for-stem/
Reporting Off Campus Scholarships
If you are receiving a scholarship from a source other than UNI, we are required by federal regulations to include these funds in you financial award. You can report additional financial aid award notification online:
- MyUNIverse> Go to my Student Center> Finances section> Report Other Financial Aid
Off Campus Donors (hometown)
When sending checks for students attending UNI, please print and complete the UNI Scholarship Donor Form. Enclose the Form with the check(s) and send to the Office of Student Financial Aid. If you would like the check to credit for the Fall semester, our office should receive the check by July 31. If the credit is to occur during spring term, our office should receive the check by December 15.
- Still have questions? Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions
- When sending checks for students attending UNI, please print and complete the UNI Scholarship Donor Form. Enclose the Form with the check(s) and send to the Office of Student Financial Aid. If you would like the check to credit for the Fall semester, our office should receive the check by July 31. If the credit is to occur during spring term, our office should receive the check by December 15.
- Interested in increasing scholarship opportunities for students at UNI? To learn more visit: Frequently Asked Questions