Family Weekend Schedule
Friday, Oct. 17
Wellness/Recreation Center open to families 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. (Lap and leisure pools are open 5 - 7:30 p.m. Climbing wall open 4 - 8 p.m.)*
View the night sky with the Earth Science Department's large computer-controlled telescopes from 8 - 10 p.m., at the Hillside Observatory, on Jennings Drive.
Saturday, Oct. 18
Welcome /check in 9:30 - 11 a.m., in the GBPAC lobby
Get a schedule of events and some fun giveaways; free T-shirts are available to the first 500 attendees. TC and TK will be on hand as well as the UNI spirit squads. Alumni will have a chance to win a UNI license plate!
Wellness/Recreation Center gyms, fitness areas, racquetball courts open 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.; lap and leisure pools and climbing wall available, 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.*
College of Business Administration, Curris Business Building (CBB)
- Global opportunities information sessions, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., in CBB 125
- Picnic lunch and student organization fair for UNIBusiness students and their families, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., South Veranda, CBB
College of Education, Schindler Education Center (SEC)
- Open house and tours, 10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., SEC Lobby
- Welcome from Dwight C. Watson, dean 11 - 11:20 a.m., in 244-246 SEC
- Camp Adventure Program, 11:30 a.m. - noon, in 244-246 SEC
- Picnic lunch for UNI College of Education students and their families, 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m., in the SEC Lobby
College of Social & Behavioral Sciences
Fun for all ages; stop by anytime between 11 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. Engage in hands-on activities in one of the following program labs.
- Archaeology-- Explore prehistoric and historic artifacts from the Midwest and see some of the field and lab equipment, Bartlett Hall 0111.
- Interior Design-- Blend art and science to learn how spaces are designed to be functional, sustainable and attractive, Latham Hall 205.
- Psychology-- Tour the new research labs in Psychology and see the results of a recent experiment, Bartlett Hall 0071.
- Textiles and Apparel-- Discover the process of product development in the fashion industry and what it takes to design your own label, Latham Hall 251.
College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences
UNI Gallery of Art open noon – 5 p.m. Exhibits include: "Nature’s Toolbox: Biodiversity, Art and Invention" organized by Art works For Change, Inc. "String Theory and the Superconducting Super Collider Series" - large-scale paintings by Vermont-based artist and writer Lucinda Mason (1974-2007).
- Biology--Live animals, skeletons, plants, 9 a.m. - noon, McCollum Science Hall 025
- Earth Science-- Planetarium shows, rocks, minerals and fossil displays, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., Latham Hall
- Physics-- robotics and "super cold physics" demonstrations alternating between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., Begeman Hall 114
- Chemistry and Biochemistry--Chemistry magic show at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., Lantz Auditorium, McCollum Science Hall
University Honors Program
Open house, 10 a.m. - noon, Honors Cottage, on College Street.
10 a.m. - 1 p.m., the Botanical Center greenhouses will be open for self-guided tours. Stop in and wander through the extensive and diverse collection of plants. Visitors can also tour the Hosta and perennial gardens outside the greenhouses.
10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., UNI Museum/Marshall Center School tour, west side of Schindler.
1 p.m., Behind-the-Scenes Tour in Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library. Tour starts on the main floor (2nd) by the east entrance (Maucker Union side).
Family Feast Tailgate, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m., at Rialto and Piazza. Cost is $8 at the door. Students can use their flex meals for guests or guests can pay with cash or check.
Check out all that downtown Cedar Falls has to offer! A bus will make a loop traveling between Maucker Union and downtown, from 1 - 4:30 p.m. No charge.
Magic and Illusions of Eric Michaels at 1:30 p.m., Maucker Union. See one of Iowa's favorite magicians. Free fun for the whole family!
See the Tony Award-winning musical "Camelot" Saturday at 3 and 8 p.m., GBPAC. Tickets, 319-273-7469.
UNI Football vs South Dakota State, 4 p.m., UNI-Dome. Tickets can be ordered online after Aug. 1. Adult price is $25, youth is $15 (ages 2-12). Orders received after Oct. 9 will be held in Will Call.
Sunday, Oct. 19
Wellness/Recreation Center open to families 1 - 8 p.m. (lap and leisure pools 3 - 8 p.m. and climbing wall opens at 7 p.m.)*
*STUDENTS MUST ACCOMPANY THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS TO USE THE WRC