Sunday at the Quarry
Earth Science Week 2011, is scheduled for October 10th-15th and we are proud to Sponsor Sunday at the Quarry on Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 from 11 AM to 4 PM at our RAYMOND QUARRY located on Dubuque Road (old Hy 20), just east of Raymond, IA as part of this year’s activities. The public is invited to attend this very unique event for a day of Earth Science Adventure. The Theme this year is:“OUR CHANGING EARTH.”
There are several excellent programs and activities for everyone.
- Collecting Rocks, Minerals, and Fossils with the Black Hawk Gem and Mineral Club.
- Changes in the Earth by studying the Geology of the Quarry, with UNI Earth Science Dept.
- Youth Activities with UNI Earth Science Department (Find a Fossil and other Activities
- IOWA LEARNING FARMS DEMONSTRATION, ENERGY, SOILS AND CROPS.
- Iowa Geological Survey: Changes in the landscapes: shaping Iowa throughout Geological History.
- Black Hawk County Soil and Water District; Changes in the Watershed: plant a seed and watch it grow.
- USGS (United States Geological Survey) Displays and programs for Changes in the Earth.
Area Teachers may acquire an Earth Science Week Tool Kit with materials produced by American Geophysical Institute free from BMC Aggregates by contacting their office at 235 6583.
Youth Groups, the General Public, and everyone interested in learning more about the Earth Sciences is invited to this Event.
Mark the date, October 2nd, 2011, from 11 AM to 4 PM on your Calendar. BMC Aggregates, Black Hawk Gem and Mineral Club, UNI Earth Science Department, Black Hawk County Soil and Water District and all the program presenters are looking forward to seeing you!