Dr. Kyle R. Gray
Assistant Professor of Earth Science Education
Ph.D., Secondary Education (2009), University of Akron
M. I. T. (Master in Teaching), Education (1999), Whitworth College
M.S., Earth and Planetary Sciences (1995), University of New Mexico
B.S., Geology (1990), University of Puget Sound
- Gray, K., and Steer, D. N., 2012, Personal Response Systems and Learning: It is Pedagogy that Matters, Not the Technology, in Journal of College Science Teaching, 41 (50), 80-88.
- Gray, K., Owens, K., Liang, X., and Steer, D., 2012, Assessing Multimedia Influences on Student Responses Using a Personal Response System, in Journal of Science Education and Technology, vol. 21, p. 392-402.
- Gray, K. R., Owens, K. D., Steer, D. N., McConnell, D. A., and Knight, C. C., 2011, An exploratory study using hands-on physical models in a large, introductory, earth science classroom: Student Attitudes and Lessons Learned, in Electronic Journal of Science Education, vol. 12, no. 2.
- Kortz, K. M., Clark, S. K., Gray, K., Smay, J. J., Viverios, B., and Steer, D., 2011, Counting tectonic plates: A mixed-methods study of college student conceptions of plates and boundaries. in Fieg, A., and Stokes, A. (eds.), Geological Society of America Special Publication: Qualitative Methods in Geoscience Education, Boulder, CO: Geological Society of America.
- Gray, K., Steer, D., McConnell, D., and Owens, K., 2010. Using a student-manipulated model to enhance student learning in a large, lecture class: Addressing common misconceptions pertaining to the causes for the seasons. Journal of College Science Teaching, 40, 86-95.
- Gray, K., 2010. Do Students Use Mental Animation When Answering Conceptest Questions on Relative Plate Motions?, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs.
- Gray, K., Owens, K., Steer, D., and Liang, X., 2009. An Analysis of Electronically Archived Student Responses to Text-Only Versus Conceptual Questions in Large Earth Science Courses, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, vol. 41, no 7, p. 197.
- Steer, D., McConnell, D., Gray, K., Kortz, K., and Liang, X., 2009. Analysis of student responses to peer-instruction conceptual questions answered using an electronic response system: Trends by gender and ethnicity. Science Educator, 18, 30-38.