Dr. Chad E. Heinzel
Integrate techniques from geology, geography, and archaeology to investigate possible environmental and anthropogenic influences on the socio-economic development of indigenous populations in locations such as Sicily, the Great Plains of the US, and the Rocky Mountains.
Investigate Quaternary mapping and stratigraphy defined within a geographic information system in upland and alpine regions.
Makes use of data from a wide range of disciplines including soil development, pollen, artifacts, and isotropic variability which provides a windown into a regions physical development. Data is also used to interpret availability of natural resources through time and the environmental controls placed on developing societies.
Examining innovative and effective ways of incorporating new technologies (GIS) into the classroom.
- Montana, G., Heinzel, C. E., Polito, A., Randazzo. L., 2012, Archaeometric evidence attesting production of indigenous archaic pottery at Monte Polizzo (Western Sicily), in Periodico de Mineralogia , vol. 81, no. 1., p. 107-130.
- Heinzel, C. E., Bosshart, N., Shultz., J., Lenth, Z. 2012. The surficial geology of the Waterloo South Quadrangle (7.5'), Black Hawk County, Iowa, USGS, National Cooperative Mapping Program, EDMAP series.
- Heinzel, C. E., and Kolb, M. J., Late Holocene Land use on the Island of Sicily: A geoarchaeological perspective, in Human Interactions with the Geosphere: The Geoarchaeological Perspective, Wilson, L. (ed.). Geological Society of London, Special Publication #352, p. 97-107.
- French, C. I., Heinzel, C., Sumegi, P., Ling, J., Ayala, G., Kolb, M., Kovacs, G., Severa, C. 2010, The Paleao-Environments of Bronze Age Europe, in Organizing Bronze Age Societies - The Mediterranean, Central Europe, and Scandinavia Compared, Earle, T., and Kristiansen, K., eds., Cambridge University Press, p. 34-56.
- Heinzel, C. E., Schmitz, J., Vastine, J., Bosshart, N. 2010, The surficial geology of the Readlyn Quadrangle, USGS, National Cooperative Mapping Program, EDMAP series.
- Heinzel, C. E. 2010, The Iowa Geoscience Education Information Network - Creating a Sustainable Geologic Community, Geological Society of America, Abstracts and Programs, National Meeting, Denver Colorado.
- Heinzel, C. E., Walters, J., Dunkhase, J., and Schlumbohm, M. 2010, Constructing and Implementing the Iowa Geoscience Education Network, Geological Society of America - North Central, Abstracts and Programs, Branson Missouri.
Class Links -