- Give it frequently – the more the better!
- It must be varied – be creative, have fun!
- It must be honest – maintain your credibility
- It should be appropriate to the achievement – small deeds, small effort, small recognition. Big deeds, big time and money, bigger recognition.
- It should be given to the person – recognize the person, not the work
- It should be consistent – be fair to everyone
- It must be timely – if it is too late it loses meaning
- It should be individualized – be up close and personal
- Reward what you want more of – reinforce the positive
- Give it or else – if you don’t recognize their efforts, someone else will
The Five Senses
- Sight – smiling, signs, balloons, certificates hung on a door
- Taste – candy, home-baked goods, dinner on the town, mocktails
- Hearing – saying thank you, applause, a CD of songs recognizing the accomplishments
- Touch – a card they can hold in their hand, house awards that they carry back with them to their room
- Smell – roses (I realize this fits in almost all other areas, but I am stretching here!)