Decorate Your Room
In order to make your UNI residence hall room feel more like home, decorate it! Look for products that do not pull off paint or otherwise damage surfaces. When you check out at the end of the year, you will be assessed charges for any damages caused by such things as use of tape, screws, or tacks on or in the walls, furniture, or fixtures. Do not use carpet tape to install carpet because it may break up the floor tile when removed, resulting in charges for repairs. See the Packing Lists page for items already included in your room and what you can/cannot bring.
Suggestions and Ideas
of decorations to bring to make the space your own:
- Rugs or carpet
- Team flags
- Wall art or decals
- Pictures and picture frames
- Command strip hooks or poster strips to hang items
- Chairs or futon
- Push pin or white board
- Decorative pillows
- Decorative curtains to hang over your closet
- Magazine racks
- Contact paper
- Bring your fish!
Organization and space-saving
- Search for products to store things vertically, such as a hanging shoe organizer, a tall laundry hamper, or a closet sweater organizer for folded items
- Plastic drawer unit or fabric bins for food or other small items
- Try not to bring every single item you have at home; you won't be able to fit it all!
- If you have a futon with space underneath it, find short and wide storage containers to store things underneath it like shoes or food
- Use small hooks near the door for your keys so you won't misplace them
- To keep items off the counter, attach small containers to the wall with command strips
- Use drawer organizers for small school supplies, silverware, hygiene items, cleaning supplies, etc.
- Paint or decorate old mason jars for fun storage for pens, pencils, knick knacks, fake flowers, makeup brushes, etc.
- Support your favorite team or choose a unique patterned paper and make your own coasters (how-to here)
- Place battery operated fairy lights into mason jars for a cool vibe
- Love Instagram? Print out some of your pictures and create a wall mural
- Have a lot of jewelry? Utilize some wall space and create a fun space to display and organize it (an idea here)
- Put different colored lights in your lamps for a different feel
- Upcycle a plain cork board and cover it with fabric (instructions here)
Where can I get these items?
You can typically find these items at Target, Walmart, Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Hobby Lobby, Pier 1, other department stores,
On-Campus Market, or other online retailers like Amazon, Overstock.com, or Etsy.
University Book and Supply has UNI related decor.