- Approximately how much space is devoted to living areas in a
- List five activities usually done in the living areas of a
house.______________, _______________, ______________, __________,
- What are modern trends relating to the number of rooms, walls and doors in
- What are typical activities conducted in a living room?
- What area is considered small, average, and large for a living room?
___________, ____________, __________
- How should the location of the living room relate to the traffic pattern
of the house?
- Why would living rooms often be built at grade level? Give at least two
- One reason for building a "raised" or "sunken" living room would
- In the northern hemisphere, why would living rooms usually be built on the
northern side of the house?
- How do large glass windows enhance a living room?
- In a house with an "open plan," how might the living room be separated
from the dining room or dining area?
- Give an example of how a living room should follow the exterior design of
- What kinds of arrangements help to promote conversation in a living
- Describe the difference between "formal" and "informal" dining. Where
would each type of dining likely take place?
- What space is usually allocated for a small, medium, and large dining
room?____________, __________, __________
- What are the typical furnishings of a formal dining room?
- For most efficient use, where should the dining room be located in the
- What problem does a "closed plan" place on use of a living room??
- The dining room should be near the kitchen to make food serving more
efficient. For what reasons might a dining room be closed off from the
The Entryway or Foyer
- Three general types of entryways are: __________, ___________, and
- List three considerations when designing a main entryway for a
- What are two ways in which an entryway can be protected from the
- What consideration should help determine the size of the entryway?
- What door sizes are typically used for entryways? width=________, height=
- Where is a service entrance usually placed in the floorplan?
- Where are mudrooms and utility rooms usually placed with respect to
- What functions are accommodated by a foyer?
- What are minimum and more desirable sizes for a foyer?
- What are three general design considerations for selecting materials used
in a foyer?
- What are minimum and more desirable hall widths?
- Why should hall space be kept to a minimum?
Family Recreation Room
- Two basic design considerations for a recreation room are:
- Generally the recreation room is located near what other areas?
- Two basic advantages of having a recreation room in the basement are:
- A common size for a recreation room is ______ by _______.
- Describe the type of storage, floor covering, and lighting needed in a
Special Purpose Rooms
- List three examples of special purpose rooms.
Patios, Porches, and Courts
- List four materials commonly used for patios.
- Patios are usually not structurally connected. What do you think this
- What are four ways for obtaining privacy in patio areas?
- What sizes would be considered small and large for a patio?
- What climate factors should be considered when designing a patio?
- What are three general characteristics of porches?
- Identify the sizes of all living area rooms (inside and outside) on your
floorplan. Identify natural traffic patterns between rooms. Identify
flooring materials which would likely be used in each of these areas.