Scholarships and Awards
Frances L. Webster Scholarship
Women’s and Gender Studies $750 Tuition Award
Eligible candidates: any declared Women’s and Gender Studies minor who has completed or is completing at least six hours of Women’s and Gender Studies courses. Examples include:
Women’s and Gender Studies: Introduction
Images of Women in Literature
United States Women’s History
Introduction to Women’s Health
Black Women in America: Challenge, Spirit, Survival
Gender Issues in Communication
Women and Christianity
Women, Men, and Society
Feminist Theories in the Social Sciences
1. Academic achievement (3.0 GPA or better).
2. Involvement in the Women’s & Gender Studies program and women’s and gender issues.
3. Demonstrated responsibility and initiative.
4. Demonstrated commitment to diversity in activism and scholarship.
Materials may be submitted electronically (in Word or PDF files) or by mail.
Turn applications into 225 Sabin by February 15th of each year. A committee of the Women’s and Gender Studies Advisory Board will review these applications.
For Further Information:
Dr. Catherine MacGillivray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 319-273-7102
Sponsor: UNI Women’s and Gender Studies Program
Call for Applications for 2014-15 Academic Year
The Agathon Fellowship provides an annual financial award to a student who has demonstrated a strong commitment to and an active role in support of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender LGBT issues. Graduate and undergraduate students are encouraged to apply, with preference given to Women and Gender Studies Graduate Students. Students must have a 3.0 grade point average and must be enrolled as full-time students at UNI for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Candidates must provide:
- A 1 to 2 page written statement addressing how you have demonstrated a strong commitment to and an active role in the support of LGBT issues, and how you plan to continue to do so during the fellowship period.
- An academic transcript (an official copy is required for non-UNI applicants)
- Two letters of recommendation, with at least one that addresses your commitment and active role in LGBT issues. Recommenders should send their letters directly to the Women’s and Gender Studies program.
- Resume or Curriculum Vita
Deadline: April 15, 2015
Materials should be sent to:
Agathon Fellowship Committee
c/o Michele Guernsey
Women’s and Gender Studies Program
University of Northern Iowa
225 Sabin Hall
Cedar Falls IA 50614-0509
For questions about this fellowship, please contact Catherine MacGillivray, Director of Women’s and Gender Studies at email@example.com or 319-273-7102.
Outstanding Graduate Research Paper on Gender Award
The UNI Women’s and Gender Studies Program Invite Submissions for the 2014-2015 Outstanding Graduate Paper Award
The author of the winning paper will receive $100 and will present their work at the CROW Forum on Monday, April 6, 2015
- Current UNI graduate students from ALL departments and programs are eligible to apply for this award.
- Papers must explore gender issues in some fashion.
- Papers may include, but are not limited to, the following: a chapter from a Master’s thesis; a paper submitted for a course at UNI as a graduate student; a conference paper; a creative project. (If submitting a piece of a larger work, please submit an abstract of the entire work.)
- The author of the winning paper must be willing and available to present the paper (or a part of it) at the CROW (Current Research on Women and Gender) Forum on April 6, 2015, 12:00-1:00 pm at the Center for Multicultural Education (CME), Room 109A.
Deadline for submissions: March 9, 2015
What to submit:
1. The paper submission. This may include, but is not limited to, the following: a chapter from a Master’s thesis; a paper submitted for a course at UNI as a graduate student; a conference paper; a creative project. (If submitting a piece of a larger work, please submit an abstract of the entire work.)
2. A cover letter. The cover letter will indicate a) the submission source (e.g., class paper or project, chapter from thesis, etc.), and b) the context of the larger document/project, if only a part is being submitted.
For further information and to submit papers contact:
Elizabeth Lefler, WGS Graduate Coordinator
Mail Code: 0505