SBS scholars are recipients of scholarships from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Northern Iowa. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit to entering freshmen who expect to major in one of the degree programs of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Awards are up to $6,000 per year. SBS Scholarship recipients may renew their scholarship annually, provided they meet the established criteria, for a maximum four years of funding. For the fall of 2012, approximately ten awards were made to entering freshmen.
Degree Programs of the College: Liberal Arts and Teaching
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences has degree programs in:
|Family Services||History||Social Science - Teaching|
|Geography||Interior Design||Social Work|
|Geography, Environmental Emphasis||Political Communication||Sociology|
|Geography, GISc Emphasis||Political Science||Textiles and Apparel|
In some academic areas, the student may elect either a liberal arts option or a program leading to high school teaching certification.
Selection of SBS Scholars
1. The next SBS scholars will be selected from among freshmen who enter the university in the fall of 2013.
2. To be considered for a scholarship a student must:
- file an application form (Via the Common Scholarship Application) or with a paper application (download PDF);
- submit ACT scores, class rank, and grade point average (usually satisfied by submission of a transcript to the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences);
- rank in the upper 15 percent of his/her class and have an ACT composite score of 27 or greater (SAT equivalent of 1250; an RAI of 305 and above will also be considered);
- visit the UNI campus (see below) to be interviewed;
- submit all application materials by Tuesday, January 15, 2013. SBS scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit. Applicants will be judged on the basis of high school records, performance on standardized tests, academic honors and achievements, and other evidence of academic accomplishment and promise.
Maintaining SBS Scholarship
- Scholarships are renewed each year by maintaining a required grade point average and class load.
- Scholars must show significant progress toward their SBS major.
In February, the College sponsors a campus visitation program for scholarship applicants. Student applicants and their parents will be invited to attend. Students unable to attend the special session for scholarship applicants may request appointments for individual visits to campus, but all applicants are urged to come to the regularly scheduled session.
If you have questions about the SBS Scholarship Program, please contact:
SBS Scholarship Coordinator
319 Sabin Hall
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0403
Telephone: (319) 273-3584
FAX: (319) 273-2222
Extra copies of scholarship materials are available from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.