Alumni You Should Know: Kayla Stokes
1. When did you graduate? May of 2010. What was your major? My major was Gerontology: Social Sciences.
2. What is your current job title? Person Directed Care Consultant for ABCM Corporation. What do your job duties include? Orienting new Social Workers/Activity Coordinators, conducting mock state surveys in 30 Nursing Homes throughout the state of Iowa, working with a team of consultants on various programs for our corporation to continue to improve in the long-term care field.
3. What is the most rewarding part of your job? The most rewarding part of my job is the creative freedom I have to work on projects that I am passionate about.
4. Why do you enjoy working with older adults? I have always enjoyed being around older adults and have always connected with them better than most other cohorts. My Great-Grandparents had a big influence on my upbringing. I enjoy the fact that the older adults I work with appreciate what I do for them.
5. What are some common misconceptions about careers in aging? One of the biggest misconceptions is that you can’t make any money. I have been able to move up relatively fast in the field and have been able to advance in my pay scale as a result. If you’re willing to put in the work and you find the right company that understands what professionals in the aging field are worth, you will have a rewarding career in all areas that are important to you.