Graduate Assistantship Description
Graduate Assistantship Job Description
Department of History
Position Title: Graduate Assistant for the Department of History
Reports to: Faculty member to be assigned
Terms of Employment:
- For the fall semester: 20 hours per week for full assistantship or 10 hours per week for half assistantship, beginning August 26, 2013, and ending December 20, 2013. Does not include the week of Thanksgiving Break.
- For the spring semester: 20 hours per week for full assistantship or 10 hours per week for half assistantship, beginning January 13, 2014, and ending May 9, 2014. Does not include the week of Spring Break.
- Full assistantship stipend is $4,694 per semester. Half assistantships may be awarded.
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees.
- Graduate Assistants receive University holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, or the interims between semesters.
- For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures: http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships/
- Taking roll call and proctoring tests, especially in large classes or at one of the department’s twice-weekly make-up exam periods.
- Assisting faculty with instructional tasks, excluding the routine teaching of regularly scheduled classes.
- Gathering information for use by departmental faculty and staff in evaluation, recruitment, retention, and outreach to students, alums, and donors.
- Supporting faculty research by providing a variety of research services.
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student in the Department of History graduate program.
- Must be enrolled in 9 hours applying to the graduate degree.
- Maintain a Plan and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00. First semester graduate students must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00.
Application Process and Deadline: To apply, email the completed Graduate Assistantship Application Form (available at http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships) and have two letters of reference sent to Judy Dohlman (Judith.email@example.com). Questions should be directed to Dr. Barbara Cutter, Graduate Coordinator (Barbara.firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications received by January 15 will be given preferential consideration.