J. Henry Owusu
Faculty - Associate Professor of Geography
•Ph. D. 1993: University of Iowa — Geography (Regional Development) •M.A. 1990: University of Iowa — Geography (Regional Development) •M.S. 1980: Indiana University of Pennsylvania — Geography & Regional Planning •B.A. 1977: University of Science & Technology, Ghana — Economics/Geography
- Conflict and Cooperation among the Riparian Countries of the Volta River Basin in West Africa.
- Industrialization (Formal & Informal Sectors) and Development in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Decentralization, Local livelihoods and Sustainable Forest Management in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Political Economy of Regional Development;
- Third World/International Development and Policy;
- Tropical Timber Trade, The Environment and Development in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Regional Economic Restructuring;
- The Role of the Human Factor in Third World Development;
- Human Geography
- Economic Geography
- Cultural Geography
- Regional Geography -- African Development
- Non-Western Cultures – Africa
- Geography of Economic Development
Current (2010-2011): A. Department • Chair, Professional Assessment Committee (PAC) – Third Term • Coordinator, Fulbright Scholarships • Member, Promotion and Tenure ad hoc Review Team • Member, Diversity Committee • Member, Curriculum Committee • Member, Graduate Studies Committee • Associate Graduate Coordinator (scheduled to be substantive in 2012-13) B. College • Member, CSBS Diversity Council • Member, Honors Committee • Member, CSBS Senate (Alternate) C. University • Member, Standing Committee for Liberal Arts Core Review (Category 5) • Member, Non-Western Cultures Program Faculty -- Africa • Member, Graduate Faculty Previous (2000 - 2010): A. Department • Chair, Professional Assessment Committee (PAC) – First Term • Scribe, Faculty Meetings, 2001-2002; 2005-2006 • Member, New GIS Faculty Search Committee (2002) • Member, New GIS/urban Planning Faculty Search Committee (2004-2005) • Member, Committee of the Whole - Search for Department Head Committee (2005-2006) • Member, Curriculum Committee (2001-2002; 2008-2011) • Member, Diversity Committee (2009-2010) • Member, Promotion and Tenure ad hoc Review Team (2009-2010) • Member Professional Assessment Committee (2005 -2010) • Member, Graduate Studies Committee (2001-2009) B. College • Member, CSBS Scholarships Committee – Alderman Scholarships, 2000-2007 • Member, CSBS Senate (2007-2009) • Member, Honors Committee (2007-2010) • Member, CSBS Advisory Committee (2007-2008) • Member, CSBS Undergraduate Research Awards Committee (2002 -2007) • Departmental Representative, Fall Convocation (2005) • Panelist, New Faculty Orientation (Fall, 2009) C. University • Member, Graduate School Thesis Awards Committee (2001- 2007) • Member, Graduate Faculty (2000-2010) • Member, Social Sciences Category 5 Review & Standing Committee (2007-2011) • Member, Non-Western Cultures Program Faculty – Africa (2000- 2010)
- Owusu, J. Henry. (Forthcoming). “Conflict and Cooperation among the Riparian Countries of the Volta River Basin in West Africa: A Geographic Perspective.” – Chapter 7 – In Vajpeyi Dhirendra, ed. Water Resource Conflicts and International Security. Lexington Books (Rowman & Little Publishing Group): Lanham, MD.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 2010. “Trends in Ghana’s International Timber trade: Some Implications for Local Livelihoods and Sustainable Forest management.” – Chapter 13 in German, Laura, Alain Karsenty, and Anne-Marie Tiani, eds.Governing Africa’s Forests in a Globalized World, for The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR). London, U.K: Earthscan.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 2010. “Le commerce international du bois au Ghana : tendances et repercussions sur les conditions de vie locales et la gestion durable des forêts.” – Chapter 13 in German, Laura, Alain Karsenty, and Anne-Marie Tiani, eds. Gouverner les forêts africaines à l’ère de la mondialisation,Bogor, Indonesie: Center for International Forestry Research CIFOR.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 2006. “Political/Economic Convenience and Unprecedented Deforestation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Development Lessons from Ghana’s Adjustment Program” – Chapter 10 (pp. 161-181) in Konadu-Agyemang, K and Panford, K .eds. Africa in the 21st Century: Pertinent Socio-Economic and Development Issues. Aldershot, HampshireUK: Ashgate International.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 2004. “Structural Adjustment sans Spatial Integration: Another Sub-Saharan African Development Policy Debacle.” Chapter 4 (pp. 75-110), in Adjibolosoo, S. B-S. K. (ed.), The International Development Program of Activities: What are We Doing Wrong? Bloomington, IN: 1st Books.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 2001. “Economic Recovery, Debt and Dependence in African Economies: The Case of Ghana”, Chapter 2 (pp. 17-39), in Columbus, F. (ed.), Politics and Economics of Africa, Vol. I, Huntington, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 1998. “The Myth of Development Under Ghana’s Structural Adjustment Program: Evidence From The Formal Wood-Processing Sector (1983-1991),” Chapter 12 (pp.193-216), in Adjibolosoo, S. B-S. K. and B. Ofori-Amoah (eds.), Addressing Misconceptions About Africa’s Development: Seeing Beyond The Veil. Lewiston,NY: The Edwin Mellen Press.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 2001. “Determinants of Export-Oriented Industrial Output in Ghana: The Case of Formal Wood Processing in an Era of Economic Recovery.” The Journal of Modern African Studies. Vol. 39, No.1, pp. 51-80.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 2001. “Spatial Integration, Adjustment and Structural Transformation in Sub-Saharan Africa: Some Linkage Pattern Changes in Ghana.” The Professional Geographer. Vol. 53, No.2, pp. 230-247.
- Dean M. Hanink and J. Henry Owusu. 1998. “Has ECOWAS Promoted Trade Among Its Members?” Journal of African Economies. Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 363-383.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 1998. “Current Convenience; Desperate Deforestation: Ghana’s Adjustment Program and the Forestry Sector.” The Professional Geographer, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 418-436.
- Owusu, J. Henry. 1998. “Adjustment, Industrial Locational Incentives and Structural Transformation in Ghana.” The East African Geographical Review (now African Geographical Review) Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 1-24 (Lead Article).
- Owusu, J. Henry. 1995. “Structural Adjustment and African Development: Evidence from Ghana’s Formal Wood-Processing Sector.” Review of Human Factor Studies. Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 60-79.
1. 1110: World Geography (970:040)
2. 1120: Human Geography (970: 010)
3. 2110: Economic Geography (970:101)
4. 4110: Cultural Geography (970:114g)
5. 4150: Regional Geography -- African Development (970:141g)
6. Hum 3128: Non-Western Cultures – Africa (680:128 - Honors)
7. Hum 3128: Non-Western Cultures – Africa (680:128)