Faculty - Assistant Professor of Geography
Remote Sensing, GIS, and GPS
B.S.: Geography Education, South China Normal University, China (Jul 2002); M.A.: Geography, Indiana State University, USA (May 2005); PhD: Geography, Indiana State University, USA (Dec 2008)
- Urban environment: urban impervious surface estimation, urban landscape mapping, urban land change detection at multiple spatial and temporal scales, scale-effect of census-based urban land surface temperature modeling, urban environmental quality assessment with the integration of remote sensing and GIS;
- Demographic and Social issues: scale-effect of census-based residential population estimation, spatial analysis of foreclosure pattern in California;
- Natural Resource Management: the impact of Marcellus Shale gas drilling activities on water quality, the effect of land use and land cover change on water quality;
- Remote sensing and GIS algorithmsvalidation, comparison, and application: fractals, spatial autocorrelation indexes, spatial metrics, texture, artificial neural network, object-oriented classification, scale effect examination based on multiple spatial, spectral, and temporal resolution.
Grants and Projects:
- Developing a Landscape of Building Energy Use for the City of des Moines, Iowa (Iowa Energy Center, Co-PI, Current)
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - Interdisciplinary Research Experiene in Hyperspectral Imagine (Natioanl Science Foudnation, PI, 2014 - Current)
- Development of a Solar Potential Map and Web Mapping (Iowa Economic Development Authority, Co-PI, Current)
- Planning the Interdisciplinary Research Experiences for Undergarduates in Hyperspectral Imagine (2015 UNI CSBS Summer Research Grant, PI)
- Planning and Implementing the Interdisciplinary Research Experience for Undergraduates in Hyperspectral imagine in Arlington, VA (2015 Iowa NASA EPSCoR Travel Grant, PI)
- Characterizing Urban Landscape by Using Fractal-based Texture Information (2014 UNI CSBS Summer Research Grant, PI)
- Assessing the Effects of Future Land Use/Land Cover Change on Surface Water Quality in Middle Cedar Watershed, Iowa (2013-2014 UNI CSBS Project Grant, PI)
- Assessing the Effects of Historical and Future Land Use/Land Cover Chagne on Surfave Water Quality in Middle Cedar Watershed, IA (2012-13 UNI Large Scale Capacity Building Grant, PI)
- Mapping Foreclosure Pattern In Riverside, CA
- Marcellus Shaele Gas Drilling Actitivites on Water Quality
Teach students how to use various geographic tools including cartography, remote sensing, GIS, and GPS to spatially map, analyze, and understand the impact of human-environment interaction on different environmental and socioeconomic issues.
Liang, B., and Q. Weng. (2014) Multiscale Fractal Characteristics of Urban Landscape in Indianapolis, USA. In: Scale Issues in Remote Sensing, edited by Q. Weng, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, pp. 230-252.
Liang, B., Q. Weng., and X. Tong. (2013) An Evaluation of Fractal Characteristics of Urban Landscape in Indianapolis, USA Using Multi-sensor Satellite Images. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 34(3): 804-823.
Liang, B., and Q. Weng. 2011. Assessing urban environmental quality change of Indianapolis, United States by the remote sensing and GIS integration. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 4(1): 43-55.
Weng, Q., Liu, H., Liang, B., and D. Lu. 2008. The spatial variations of urban land surface temperatures: pertinent factors, zoning effect, and seasonal variability. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 1(2):154-166.
Liang, B., and Q. Weng. 2008. A multi-scale analysis of census-based land surface temperature variations and determinants in Indianapolis, United States. Journal of Urban Planning and Development, 134(3): 129-139.
Liang, B., Weng, Q., and D. Lu. 2007. Using remotely sensed impervious surface data to estimate population. In: Remote Sensing of Impervious Surface, edited by Q. Weng, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, Fl, pp. 409-430.
Weng, Q., Lu, D., and B. Liang. 2006. Urban surface biophysical descriptors and land surface temperature variations. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 72(11): 1275-1286.
Geog1110: World Geography
Geog1310: Maps and Map Interpretation
Geog4159/5159: Satellite Image Processing
Geog4350/5350: Global System Field Survey
Geog4360/5360: Thematic Cartography
Geog4370/5370: Remote Sensing of the Environment