Catalog 2010-2012

Substance Abuse Counseling

This UNI certificate program is designed to prepare Social Work majors for the field of substance abuse treatment. To receive a UNI certificate, a student must complete the requirements for the Social Work major (including graduation with the B.A.) and the specific course work and field instruction experiences as indicated.



  Social Work: 450:171.....3 hours

Electives: three of the following.....9 hours

  Psychology: 400:170.

  Social Work: 450:121, 450:142, 450:143, 450:175.

12 hours


Field Instruction: Students will spend a total of 440 service hours in an inpatient or outpatient treatment program. To secure a field placement site the student may need to travel out of town. Experience with individuals, families, and groups will be required.