Catalog 2010-2012

School of Music

College of Humanities and Fine Arts


*Plans are in progress to consolidate the College of Humanities and Fine Arts and the College of Natural Sciences by June 30, 2011.

The School of Music offers majors and minors under two baccalaureate degrees: the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Music.

The Music major under the Bachelor of Arts degree is a liberal arts program for the student interested in combining the discipline of music training with the breadth offered by a liberal arts curriculum.  Five tracks are available to pursue within this degree program.

The Composition-Theory and Performance majors are professional Bachelor of Music degrees designed to prepare the student for 1) a career as a composer or an artist-performer, or 2) entrance to graduate schools where further excellence in composition or in a performance area might be pursued. The Music Education major is a professional Bachelor of Music degree designed to prepare the student for a teaching career and provides licensure in music for grades K-8 and 5-12.


General Requirements for Undergraduate Majors

Music majors on all degree programs must choose an area of applied music (540:xxx) for specialization and must meet the proficiency standards of the School of Music. The total required applied hours indicated for each major must be completed on one of the specialization instruments or voice on which the student auditioned. Dividing the required applied hours among various instruments, or voice and instrument(s), will not satisfy the applied music portion of any of the degree programs.

Auditions: Admission to the School of Music requires successful completion of an audition in the main performance area.

Piano Proficiency: Required of all majors. All freshmen will enroll in group piano class or applied piano continuously (semester by semester) until piano proficiency has been passed. For Music Education majors, requirements must be completed prior to student teaching.

Vocal and Instrumental Competency: Required of all Music Education Majors.

Instrumental students (Specialization B) will attend special sections of Instrumental Techniques (570:010) taught by vocal/choral faculty. Keyboard majors enrolling for Specialization A must also satisfy vocal proficiency as determined by the voice faculty.

Foreign Language: Bachelor of Music Performance voice majors are required to complete one semester (5 credits-UNI) at the college/university level in each of two foreign languages. Ten (10) semester hours of credit in a foreign language are strongly recommended for students whose applied concentration is voice (Music Education major) and for all non-voice majors on the Bachelor of Music Performance program.

Large Ensembles: In addition to applied music, all music majors must participate in at least one of the designated large ensembles for a minimum of 8 semesters (7 semesters for students in the music education program). Participation in large ensembles will be continuous from the first semester of residence until completion of the requirement. Participation in ensemble (530:012; 530:112) does not satisfy the large ensemble requirement. Auditions are required for all ensembles in the School of Music, and students will be assigned to ensembles according to audition results.

 - Wind and percussion students will be assigned to an appropriate instrumental ensemble. All wind and percussion students who are pursuing the degree of Bachelor of Music in Music Education are required to participate in marching band for a minimum of two semesters. (It is strongly recommended that this requirement be fulfilled during the freshman and sophomore years.)  B.A. Music: Jazz Studies majors will be assigned to the appropriate large jazz ensemble (sections 02, 03, or 04).

 - In the fall semester, participation in either Concert Band or Jazz Band II may satisfy the large ensemble requirement for students in select degree programs or those who have completed their respective marching band requirements.  All students must meet audition requirements for the two above ensembles.

 - String players will participate in the orchestra.

 - The initial choral ensemble for all freshmen voice students will be either UNI Singers or Women's Chorus. Freshmen are limited to participation in only one vocal ensemble. Students performing targeted roles in UNI Opera main stage productions are exempt from ensemble participation for four (4) weeks preceding the final performance of the production.

 - Composition and Keyboard majors will audition for either an instrumental ensemble or a choral ensemble. Keyboard majors in the music education program shall participate in an ensemble appropriate to their specialization.



Students wishing to take a course for graduate credit in the School of Music or wishing to pursue a degree program in this department must consult with the Associate Director for Graduate Studies in Music prior to registration for the course. Detailed information concerning requirements and procedures will be provided, and specific evidence of previous accomplishments will be reviewed.

The Master of Music degree is a professional degree designed to prepare the graduate for: 1) enhanced opportunity in public and private school music teaching, 2) a college teaching career, 3) a performance career as a professional musician or composer, or 4) further graduate work at the doctoral level. The following majors are offered:



Jazz Pedagogy

Music Education

Music History


Piano Performance and Pedagogy


An applicant for a graduate degree program in the School of Music should possess the baccalaureate degree in music or a demonstrated equivalent. The student should have attained a high degree of proficiency in one or more of the following areas: performance, theory-composition, conducting, music education, or music history. In addition to the common regulations and requirements applicable to all master's degree programs, the following are required for admission to the specific major:

Composition majors: portfolio and, if possible, recordings of compositions.

Conducting majors: in-person audition and interview with at least two members of the Graduate Conducting faculty. It is also recommended the applicant have two years of conducting experience beyond the baccalaureate degree. A DVD or digital video file recording may be submitted in lieu of the in-person audition, but may not satisfy the audition requirement. Recordings should be of high quality and show the applicant in rehearsal situations, though performance recordings may also be included. Video recordings should include two or three works of varying styles, and be taken so as to clearly indicate the conductor's facial and other physical gestures.

Jazz Pedagogy: in-person audition and interview.

Music Education majors: in-person or telephone interview with a member of the

Graduate Music Education faculty.

Music History majors: scholarly paper.

Performance majors and Piano Performance and Pedagogy majors: in-person audition (a recording would be accepted if the in-person audition would pose undue hardship).


A prospective major must take a written diagnostic examination in the areas of theory, music history, expository writing skills, and in the area of claimed competency, if different from the above (e.g., piano, brass, or woodwind instruments). This examination normally is taken immediately prior to initial registration as a graduate student. If a student is required to take remedial courses to make up any deficiency in preparatory work, those courses will not be counted toward degree requirements.

The Graduate Record Examination (General Test) is not required for admission to the Master of Music programs.

A minimum of 15 semester hours of 200/6000-level course work is required of all majors enrolled for the thesis/recital option. The thesis option requires a minimum of 6 semester hours of 5xx:299 Research. A minimum of 12 semester hours of 200/6000-level course work is required of all majors enrolled for the non-thesis option (520-595 course prefix).

Successful completion of an oral and written comprehensive examination is required of all students in this degree program. This examination normally will take place after the candidate has completed the course work required for the degree. The grade B- or above is required for all courses in the Graduate Music Core as well as all core courses in the specific degree plans. Under extenuating circumstances, exceptions to this policy must be approved by the instructor of record, the Associate Director of Graduate Studies and the Director of the School of Music. For more information go to

Students who plan to receive the degree Master of Music (M.M.) must meet the graduate regulations and requirements for the master=s program as described on pages xxx-xxx and the specific major requirements.

Students interested in this program must submit a completed Application for Admission to Graduate Study and should contact the School of Music for any other admission requirements.  Graduate Information and application for graduate admission can be found at



The Artist Diploma is a non-degree-granting professional program awarded by the School of Music for the successful completion of performance studies combined with general music studies. The curricular content of the proposed Artist Diploma program is designed to provide the student aspiring toward a professional career the opportunity to study and perform solo literature and chamber music without taking all the academic course requirements of a masters degree.

The Artist Diploma serves the needs of international and national students who are extremely talented, career minded, and dedicated to the art of music-making. Admission is considered once the student has completed a baccalaureate degree, or the international equivalent, and taken an in-person audition (a recording would be accepted if the in-person audition would pose undue hardship). Applicants not holding the baccalaureate degree or its equivalent but who have extensive study with a master teacher and noted performing experience, may apply. Interested students should contact the Associate Director of Graduate Studies within the School of Music.