Department of Communication Studies
College of Humanities and Fine Arts
*Plans are in progress to consolidate the College of Humanities and Fine Arts and the College of Natural Sciences by June 30, 2011.
Graduate Majors (M.A.)
Note: Students majoring in Public Relations must achieve a minimum grade of C (2.00) in all courses to be applied toward departmental majors or minors. To graduate with a major in Communication (Liberal Arts), a student must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.50.
Advisory Statement: Requirements of a Communication Studies major or minor may also be used to meet the requirements of another major or minor; but electives may not be counted toward both.
Enrollment Management Policy
This policy applies to the following: Communication Liberal Arts Major, Communication/Public Relations Major, Communication/Electronic Media Major, Political Communication Major, Communication Liberal Arts Minor, Business Communication Minor, Communication/Journalism Minor, and Communication/Public Relations Minor.
- Students may indicate their interest in majoring in a communication program any time after their admission to UNI. Formal indication of interest shall be made via the Declaration of Curriculum form at which time the student will be considered a pre-major and will be assigned an advisor. (For freshmen, this shall be the Communication Studies Advising Office.)
- A student's freshman year shall be devoted primarily to course work in the Liberal Arts Core. The Liberal Arts Core load shall include 48C:001 (Oral Communication) and 620:005 or 620:015 or 620:034. Major course work shall be limited to courses as recommended by her/his freshman advisor and program policy.
- By the end of the fall term of a student's sophomore year, pre-majors shall have completed a course major component as designated by the advisor and program policy.
- The following criteria shall be used for determination of admission:
- 2.70 cumulative GPA in at least 24 hours of course work (to include 48C:001 Oral Communication and 620:005 or 620:015 or 620:034).
- 2.50 average GPA in the designated major component for Communication Studies - Liberal Arts majors (except Political Communication), and a 2.70 average GPA in the designated major component for Public Relations and Electronic Media majors.
- Upon satisfaction of the admission requirements (a and b above), a student shall be converted to major status after the student files a Declaration of Curriculum which will then be processed. The student shall be notified of her/his admission.
- Students admitted to a major shall be able to continue course work toward their major.
- Students unable to satisfy the admission requirements and consequently denied admission shall be notified in writing.
- Transfer students entering UNI with an associate arts (A.A.) degree shall be admitted to major status if their cumulative GPA is 2.70 or better, and upon the condition that the requirements of both 48C:001 (Oral Communication) and 620:005 or 620:015 or 620:034 were satisfied.
- Transfer students entering UNI without an A.A. degree shall be subject to the admissions standards requirements of students beginning their higher education studies at UNI, i.e. #4.
Designated Course Components:
- Public Relations: 48J:002, 48P:005.
- Electronic Media: 48J:002, 48E:003.
- Journalism: 48J:002.
- Communication-Liberal Arts: 48C:001 and 620:005 or equivalent.
- Political Communication: none.
Admission to any Communication Minor (Liberal Arts, Business Communication, or Public Relations) or Journalism Minor requires a 2.70 cumulative GPA in at least 24 hours of course work (to include 48C:001 Oral Communication and 620:005 or 620:015 or 620:034). (Also, see 4c above.)