Department of Biology
College of Natural Sciences
*Plans are in progress to consolidate the College of Humanities and Fine Arts and the College of Natural Sciences by June 30, 2011.
Undergraduate Majors (B.S.)
Undergraduate Majors (B.A.)
Major programs are offered by the Department of Biology in two baccalaureate areas: the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science. The Bachelor of Science degree is recommended for most students preparing for graduate study in biology. The Bachelor of Arts degree provides a choice among several tracks depending upon student interest and/or career plans.
Note: Students should submit their declaration of a biology major early in their college programs. This will permit them to plan their major courses with a department advisor to avoid future conflicts. Transfer students with previous courses in biology, zoology, or botany must have transfer courses evaluated to avoid duplication and possible loss of credit. Decisions regarding UNI major courses and transfer credits should be approved by the department head or advisor.
Academic Standard Policy
- Students should indicate their interest in majoring in biology by filling out a Declaration of Curriculum form any time after their admission to UNI.
- A student's freshman year shall be devoted primarily to completing the required course work in general biology (840:051 and 840:052) and chemistry (860:044 and 860:048, or 860:070). Liberal Arts Core and/or math classes should be taken by students to complete their schedules.
- Students must receive a grade of C- (1.67) or higher in courses that are applied to their major.
- Students with ACT mathematics scores below 24 are required to complete either Precalculus (800:046) or Mathematics for the Biological Sciences (800:056) with a grade of C- (1.67) or higher before they can graduate with a biology major.
- If a student drops a course after the first seven days of classes, in the subsequent semester they will only be allowed to register for that course after all advanced registration is completed.
- To graduate from UNI with a biology major, students must have both a cumulative and a major UNI GPA of 2.50 or higher, with a grade of C- (1.67) or higher in all courses that are applied to the major.
- Transfer students entering UNI shall be subject to the acceptance requirements listed in #3.
To graduate from UNI with a biology minor, students must have both a cumulative and a minor UNI GPA of 2.50 or higher, with a grade of C- (1.67) or higher in all courses that are applied to the minor.