Credit/No Credit Grading
An undergraduate student having earned twelve semester hours of credit at this university may take courses offered by this institution for which s(he) is otherwise eligible for degree credit without grade under the following conditions:
- The course work requirements for a student taking work on an ungraded basis shall be the same as for a student taking the work on a graded basis.
- A grade of C- or higher is required in a course to receive credit on the credit/no credit option.
- Not more than 22 hours of ungraded course work in addition to courses authorized to be offered only for ungraded credit may be taken toward any bachelor's degree.
- Ungraded credit may not be applied to work required for a major or minor except with the consent of the head of the department in which the course is offered.
- No course taken in the credit/no credit option may be applied toward meeting a Liberal Arts Core requirement.
- Except for Field Experience: Exploring Teaching (200:017), Field Experience: Teacher as Change Agent (200:128), and for Student Teaching (280:132 through 280:140), ungraded credit may not be used to meet the Professional Education Requirements for the teaching program.
- Course work passed without grade (CR=credit) may not be retaken except by special permission of the dean of the college in which the course is offered.
- A graded course completed may not be retaken on an ungraded basis.
- The credit/no credit system may not be used with Credit by Examination, Extension, or Correspondence (specified as Guided Independent Study at UNI) courses.
- Change of registration in a course to or from a non-graded basis may not be made after five class days beyond midterm in a full, academic-year semester, or after the mid-point in the duration of a course taught in a period less than a full, academic-year semester. Only one such change of registration may be made per course. A graduate student may include up to three credit hours of non-graded graduate course work in the program of study with the approval of the department.
- The credit/no credit grading system may not be used in Presidential Scholars Seminars or for the Presidential Scholars Thesis/Project credit.