Accelerated Master of Public Policy Program
The Accelerated Master of Public Policy program provides the opportunity for qualified UNI undergraduates to reduce the number of hours required for completion of the Master of Public Policy degree by meeting certain preparatory requirements prior to completing the B.A. degree.
- Upon declaration of an undergraduate major, any UNI student may apply to the director of the program for entry into the preparatory phase of the Accelerated M.P.P. program. A student must have at least a 3.00 GPA in order to be considered for this program. Upon acceptance into the preparatory phase, the student signs an agreement with the director, which spells out the requirements for this phase of the program.
- The following four courses are included in the preparatory phase of the program: 920:117, 920:125, 942:153, and 942:173. All of these courses have prerequisites which must be completed before the student may enroll in them.
- In order to count one of these courses toward admission to the accelerated M.P.P. program, the student must sign a contract with the instructor to do the same extra work that is required by that instructor for students to receive graduate credit for the course. No graduate credit will be awarded, but completion of the course in this manner contributes toward eligibility for the accelerated M.P.P. program.
- In order to count one of these courses toward admission to the accelerated M.P.P. program, the student must receive a minimum grade of B in the class. In addition, to be considered for admission into the accelerated M.P.P. program, students must maintain a minimum of 3.00 GPA in all of their undergraduate work.
- After completion of the preparatory phase, the student will be considered for admission to the accelerated M.P.P. program. Students who have completed three out of the four preparatory courses may also be considered for admission to the accelerated M.P.P.; however, the fourth course must be added as a graduate level course to the total hours required for the accelerated program. Enrollment in the accelerated program requires the completion of the B.A. degree.
- In order to complete the accelerated M.P.P. in one additional year after the B.A., students will also need to enroll in a minimum of 7 hours of graduate work during their senior year, as provided for in this catalog (see policies and procedures on page xxx and xxx). With the permission of the director, students may enroll in additional graduate hours during their senior year.
- All other degree requirements for the regular M.P.P. program also apply to the Accelerated M.P.P. program.
The Accelerated M.P.P. requires 33 semester hours, including a minimum of 12 hours of 200/6000-level course work.
Courses required for the Accelerated M.P.P. program:
Philosophy: 650:245 .....2 hours
History: 960:225 .....3 hours
Focus area courses: as approved by advisor .....9 hours
Internship: 950:281 ......4 hours
Prerequisite: 950:275. This requirement may be waived at the discretion of the program director, but must be replaced by 4 hours of electives.
Electives: as approved by advisor .....3 hours