GISW HUM 3137 Native Central and South America -- 3 unit(s)
Ethnographic focus on the sociocultural systems of the indigenous peoples of Mesoamerica, Amazon Basin and the Andean Highlands. Emphasis on inter-relationships among environment, history, social organizations and belief systems from a holistic and comparative perspective. (Same as ANTH 3137)
View/download a printable course flyer.
- Course syllabus
- View the course syllabus for more details.
This course is available in an online format, utilizing web pages and eLearning, a learning management system requiring Internet access and a web browser. Students may need access to someone who can assist with computer set-up.
- Liberal Arts Core
- Students who plan to graduate from UNI must complete the Liberal Arts Core (LAC). This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to Category 2. Civilizations and Cultures - B. Non-Western Cultures. For details about your LAC, please discuss with your advisor and/or visit www.uni.edu/lac.
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) distribution area
- Students working toward their Bachelor of Liberal Studies may apply credit earned in this course to their degree. This Guided Independent Study course is applicable to the Humanities distribution area. Learn more about the BLS degree program.
Anne Woodrick, Professor
Bastien, J. W. Mountain of the Condor: Metaphor and Ritual in an Andean Ayllu. 1995. Waveland Press.
Carmack, R., Basco, J., Gossen, G. The Legacy of Mesoamerica. 1996. Prentice Hall.
Chagnon, N. Yanomamo. 1997/5th edition. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Publishers.
University Book and Supply (UBS) carries most books used in GIS courses. Search for textbooks by course choosing "UNIV.NORTHERN IOWA" and the term you are enrolled in and GSW (web) or GSP (print) for the section.
Visit UBS at 1009 West 23rd Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Phone: 319-266-7581 or 800-728-7581, Email: email@example.com
Texts may also be available from www.bookfinder.com.
- To enroll
- Visit the GIS Enrollment page for forms and information.
Or visit us at 2637 Hudson Road, Cedar Falls. Campus Map
- For more information
- Diane Tournier
Guided Independent Study
UNI Continuing and Distance Education
319-273-2123 or 800-772-1746