Step one: Express your interest
Please complete the online interest form to the right to express your interest in joining a future School Library Studies MA cohort. The Fall 2013 cohort has filled to capacity. We will use the information you provide to send you program updates, including important information about enrollment deadlines as they become available.
Step two: Apply for admission
We encourage you to apply for admission to graduate studies through the University of Northern Iowa as soon as possible. We anticipate the next cohort to begin Fall 2014.
- Complete the online Application for Graduate Study.
- Please note that you are applying for admission in the category of Degree Status for Fall 2014.
- The major for which you are applying is School Library Studies (major code: 353).
- Entrance exams are not required.
- Please follow the Checklist for Graduate Admissions
- If you have received a degree from UNI, you do not have to pay the non-refundable $50 application fee.
- Criteria for admission include:
- 3.0 GPA in a completed degree program
- Completion of initial licensure for teaching in Iowa
- Successful performance on a writing test
If you meet the first two criteria and your application has been sent to the Registrar's Office, the Division of Library Studies will be in contact with you to make arrangements for the writing exam portion of the application. The exam will be administered using local proctors as arranged by the applicant. Please see the instructions for arranging proctors for more information.
Additional information about admissions from the UNI Division of Library Studies
What to expect
When your application for graduate study is complete, you will receive confirmation from UNI Admissions staff that they have received and forwarded your application and transcripts to the Department of Curriculum and Instruction for review. If you have not received this notice in a timely manner, it is your responsibility to contact the Office of the Registrar at Registrar@uni.edu or 319-273-2241 to see what might be delaying the completion of your application.
The department will review your application materials and contact you about your admission status. Following admission to the program, you will be assigned to a cohort group and provided enrollment information for the fall courses.
Delivery of the program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.