Literacy Education (MAE)
Express your interest
Please complete the online interest form to the right to express your interest in joining a future Literacy Education MAE cohort. The Fall 2013 cohort has filled to capacity. We will use the information you provide to send you program updates, including important information about application deadlines as they become available.
Seats remain available in our other distance degree programs. Apply and/or enroll today to ensure your seat!
Information below remains for reference only. The Fall 2013 cohort is full and is no longer accepting applications.
Apply for admission to the UNI Graduate College
We encourage you to apply for admission to graduate studies through the University of Northern Iowa as soon as possible. Include all transcripts in your application, including any graduate courses you may wish to have considered as part of your program of study.
- Complete the online Application for Graduate Study (click to open application in a new window)
- Please note that you are applying for admission in the category of Degree Status for Fall 2013.
- The major for which you are applying is Curriculum & Instruction: Literacy Education MAE (major code: 21Q).
- Please follow the Checklist for Graduate Admissions.
- Note that if you have received a degree from UNI, you do not have to pay the non-refundable $50 application fee.
- International students: Please contact Linda Jernigan at email@example.com or 319-273-5925 for specific instructions.
Complete steps for admission to the Literacy Education MAE program
In addition to the university requirements for admission to graduate studies, admission to the Literacy Education program includes the following requirements.
- Two written recommendations from professional educators, and
- The Writing Examination: After your application to the university is complete, please contact the Literacy Education office to set up a writing examination. This exam can be taken on campus or under the direct supervision of a proctor at a site near you. The writing exam takes one hour and involves an open-ended writing prompt.
What to expect
When your application for graduate study is complete, you will receive confirmation from UNI Admissions staff that they have received and forwarded your application and transcripts to the Department of Curriculum and Instruction for review.
The department will review your application materials and contact you about your admission status. Following admission to the program, you will be provided enrollment information as it becomes available.