A number of scholarships are available for students majoring and minoring in the Department of Communication Studies. The UNI Office of Student Financial Aid lists scholarships available to all UNI students. Scholarships specifically for Communication Studies students can be found in the UNI Scholarship Directory (search under "Department" for Communication Studies).
To apply for scholarships in Communication Studies, use the UNIversity Scholarship Application online, at the Office of Student Financial Aid web site. Most scholarships have a January 15 deadline, but check each individual scholarship for details. For UNI Forensics (UNI Debate and Speech Teams) scholarships, contact CHAS Dean and Director of Forensics, Dr. John Fritch (319-273-2725, or email@example.com).
Scholarship amounts are split evenly between semesters for the academic year awarded. For more information, please see the UNI Office of Financial Aid's Scholarship FAQs.
FIRST YEAR & TRANSFER STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS
- Degrees of Distinction (Debate)
- Forensics (Debate)
- Forensics (Individual Events)
- Kenneth Kohn (Debate)
- Melvene Draheim Hardee (Forensics, need-based)
- Carol Denter Bodensteiner (Public Relations, minority)
CURRENT STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS
- Bartlett Freeland (Debate)
- Bill Henderson (Debate & Individual Events)
- Communication Studies (Communication)
- Elaine McDavitt Stageberg (Performance Studies)
- Eugene & Mary Grossman (Digital Media)
- Iowa Broadcasters Association (Digital Media)
- IBA Electronic Media Leadership (Digital Media/Media Industry Leadership Emphasis)
- BEA National Scholarships (apply at http://www.beaweb.org/wp/?page_id=478; UNI is a member institution, so our students are eligible; deadline October)
- Funds for audio/visual/multimedia contest entry fees (Digital Media; contact department for details)
- Joyce Chen Scholarship (Digital Media)
- Journalism (Journalism minor)
- Phyllis Carlin Rising Star (Performance Studies)
- UNI PRSSA (Public Relations)
- Robert and Dorothy White (Communication Studies, demonstrated financial need)
COLLEGE OF HUMANITIES, ARTS and SCIENCES SCHOLARSHIPS
- Students studying in the Department of Communication Studies are also eligible for scholarships within UNI's College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences. CHAS offers more than 22 scholarships, including the Dean's Scholarship, which can provide $6,000 per year for four years to qualified incoming first-year students [directly from high school, with an ACT score of 27 or higher and a rank in the upper 15% of graduating class]. Click here for the College scholarships page.
- Iowa Broadcast News Association Scholarships - 4 scholarships for radio/TV journalism students in Iowa