#HOMOPHOBIA At UNI
#Flaws #LGBT*Center #21stCentury #GetWithTheTimes #GetItRight #LGBTQ+ #WrongAcronym #DontLeaveOutTheQ #TheQIsImportant #Plus>Asterisk #NotAFootnote #LackingFlow #DoingGoodTho
Trigger warning: homophobic slurs, hate speech, homophobia
LGBTQ+ individuals face examples of hate everyday. At University of Northern Iowa, LGBTQ+ individuals are the minority to cisgender, straight individuals. Those who identify under the LGBTQ+ umbrella face issues such as homophobic slurs and hate speech. Issues of homophobia we see at UNI include: harassment from roommates or hall mates, difficulty getting out of housing contracts, verbal harassment, lack of RAs that are allies, limited gender-inclusive housing and bathrooms, common language use of words like “faggot” and “that’s so gay.” Also, there is not a visitor conduct code, so LGBTQ+ students become victims to verbal harassment from some preaching visitors. Our goal is make UNI a safe place for all our students, including our LGBTQ+ community. We must to continue to address our current issues in order to be a better UNI.
We chose the LGBTQ+ acronym for its briefness and its inclusiveness. The “+” includes anyone not specifically mentioned in the rest of the acronym.
UNI Student Health Center - This on-campus resource provides STI testing and general services for the health and wellbeing of individuals in the LGBTQ+ community.
University of Iowa Hospital - LGBTQ Clinic - Located in Iowa City, this clinic is available for the health concerns of LGBTQ+ individuals. Their services include STI testing and treatment, contraceptive management, hormone therapy, and more.
Emma Goldman Clinic - Iowa City - This inclusive clinic provides women’s health services as well as transitioning care for trans* individuals.
UNI Counseling Center - The Counseling Center, located above the Student Health Center, has LGBTQ+ friendly counselors available.
The Trevor Project - This organization provides crisis prevention and suicide prevention for LGBTQ+ youth
Texting - Not comfortable with calling and talking? Please text “GO” to 741741 to text with trained crisis counselors.
Iowa Suicide Hotline - A general hotline for crisis prevention.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 is open 24/7
Local Communities that are accepting of LGBTQ+
Threehouse and Wesley Foundation - This church is welcoming of LGBTQ+ members. There is a statement of inclusion directly on their front page and a rainbow flag in front of the building.
TERMS & DEFINITIONS - A list of LGBTQ+ definitions, including gender, sexual orientation and affiliated terms.
Comprehensive* List of LGBTQ+ Vocabulary Definitions - Another list of definitions pertaining to the LGBTQ+ community.
It Gets Better - A project that is dedicated to showing the LGBTQ+ community that consists of videos (and one book) of people’s stories where it got better.
Your Holiday Mom - Your Holiday Mom is a group of individuals who have come together to send letters of their acceptance of LGBTQ+ individuals during the year’s holidays.
UNI Trans Homecoming Queen - In 2013, the first trans woman won homecoming queen at University of Northern Iowa. Read the story.
Physical Places to Feel Safe
- LGBT* Center - This space above the union is dedicated to giving a safe space for LGBTQ+ students and their allies to meet and educate themselves. They also offer advocacy for students having issues at UNI.
- Safe Zone Ally Training - Provided by the LGBT* center, this two phase training process educates allies. The first phase gives an overview of terms and language and discusses what it means to be an ally. The second phase goes more in depth and covers current issues.
- Counseling Center - The Counseling Center, located above the Student Health Center, has LGBTQ+ friendly counselors available and is free for students.
- Proud Meetings - This student organization meets Tuesdays at 7PM in Maucker Union. They promote inclusion and safety on the UNI campus.
- Inclusive Housing - Inclusive housing is becoming more available on-campus. Communities in Noehren, Lawther, Roth and Panther Village provide pod-style, private, and semi-private bathrooms for transgender, non-binary, and allied individuals.
- Threehouse and Wesley Foundation - This church is welcoming of LGBTQ+ members. There is a statement of inclusion directly on their front page and a rainbow flag in front of the building.
- Saint Timothy United Methodist - Another church welcoming of LGBTQ+ individuals.