How to Apply
- Print out an application form from the Department of Admissions, or you may apply online at http://www.grad.uni.edu/admission/application-process. Indicate that you are applying for degree status. If you complete a paper application, send it to the Department of Communication Studies, Director of Graduate Studies. This application must be on file by February 1 (for fall admission) and by October 1 (for spring admission). As all international students are required to fill out the International Application for Admission, and follow unique steps for their admission, please click on the following link for appropriate information: http://access.uni.edu/stdt/internat_instr.htm.
The TOEFL Score requirements for our Communication Studies Graduate Program international admission are: 600-604 (paper-based total), 250 (computer-based total), or 100 (internet-based total).
- Order an official transcript of undergraduate work and any previous graduate work to be sent directly from your previous institution to the UNI Admissions Office, 002 Gilchrist, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018.
- a) Submit a professional or an academic writing sample.
b) Submit a personal essay/"Statement of Purpose for Graduate Studies." Statement should be 1-2 pages, typed, double-spaced. Acceptance into the program may be full, provisional, or denied based upon the quality of the essay, the successful completion of other requirements, and the appropriateness of our program to meet your stated goals.
Include the following in the essay:
- The relationship (if any) between previous training and experience, graduate school, and your professional goals.
- Professional position and career activities you wish to pursue after completing your degree program.
- Specific goals you wish to achieve in graduate school.
- Planned area(s) of interest in graduate school.
- How the Communication Studies graduate program will help you achieve your educational/professional goals; and
- any additional information that you feel is relevant.
Mail directly to the Director of Graduate Program, UNI Communication Studies, 326 Lang, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0139.
- Obtain three recommendations. Preferably these should be from previous instructors or academic advisors. References must be on forms provided by the Department of Communication Studies, and sent directly to the Director of Graduate Studies. Printable recommendation forms: PDF | Word
- A diagnostic interview may be required with the faculty in the student's area of interest. Graduate faculty will review complete graduate application materials and make admissions decisions. To ensure that your application will be given full consideration, completed applications must be received by October 1 for spring semester admission and by February 1 for fall semester admission. The responsibility of ensuring that applications are complete rests with the applicant. Please contact the Department of Communication Studies at 319-273-6118 with questions.
- Once admitted, arrange for a meeting with the Director of Graduate Studies to register for courses. The director will assist in planning your initial graduate program. This meeting must occur prior to initial registration. Later you may be assigned a permanent advisor. However, only course work approved by your academic advisor and the Director of Graduate Studies may be counted toward degree credit.