Ms. Bakker is an instructor of School Health Education. Her primary teaching responsibilities include: Secondary School Health Education Methods, School Health Curriculum, Elementary School Health Education Methods, and Health Care and the Consumer.
Prior to arriving at the University of Northern Iowa Ms. Bakker taught Health Education for 33 years and was head volleyball coach for 24 years in the Dike-New Hartford Community School District in Dike, Iowa. She also served for 10 years as an adjunct instructor in the Health Division at the University of Northern Iowa. Ms. Bakker was the 1989 recipient of the IAHPERD Health Educator of the Year Award. She has been inducted into the University of Northern Iowa Athletics Hall of Fame, the National High School Athletic Coaches Association Hall of Fame, and the Iowa Girls Coaches Association Volleyball Hall of Fame. She holds several State of Iowa coaching achievements including seven state championships and six state runner-up titles.
• National Athletic Coaches Convention
• IAHPERD State Convention
• Lakeshore Wellness
• ISACA State Conference
• Midwest Regional Middle School Conference
• Iowa Public Television: Student Voices - Sports, Glory, and Sacrifice
• Goal Setting
• Sexual Harassment: Teaching Ideas for the Health Teacher
• Teaching Strategies for the Health Educator
• Activities to Help Build Positive Emotional and Social Health in Children
• Reading Strategies