Ripley E. Marston, Ph.D.
Born and raised in Virginia . Undergraduate degree obtained at James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Virginia. Taught elementary physical education for the Lynchburg (VA) public schools. Masters of Science degree awarded by the University of Tennessee , taught in several of the Knoxville Tennessee Public Elementary Schools, and later received a Ph. D from The University of Iowa. Became a faculty member of the University of Northern Iowa in the Fall of 1976. Major responsibilities have included teaching the elementary physical education methods and materials classes and various activity classes.
Selected Publications (Books)
- Marston, R. (2003). Great Activities' Parachute Book,with CD, Second Edition. Durham North Carolina : Great Activities Publishing Company.
- Hanson, J., Krogh, J., Marston, R., Olberding, R., & Sewell, J. (2001) Physical Fun For Little Ones: Activities for 3 to 5 year olds. Des Moines, IA : Iowa Department of Education.
Selected Publications (Journal Articles)
- Marston, R. (2004). An Early Childhood Movement Laboratory Model: Kindergym. Teaching Elementayr Physical Education (TEPE), 15(2), 6-9.
- Ahrabi-Fard, I. , Edginton, C., and Marston, R. (2004). Developing the Physically Educated Student. A 21 st Century Challenge for Physical Educators. Journal of Physical Education and Recreation ( Hong Kong ). 10(2), 8-14.
- Marston, R. (2002). Addressing the University's Tripartite Mission Through an Early Childhood Movement Program. The Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (JOPERD), 73(5), 35-41.
- Marston, R. (2004). Are You Teaching the Code? Iowa Association for Health, Physical Education Recreation and Dance Update, Spring issue, pp 8-9.
University of Northern Iowa
203 Wellness & Recreation Center
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0241
Ph.D. University of Iowa
M.A. University of Tennessee
Research interests include:
- Motor development of children
- Children's physical education and fitness
- Early childhood motor activity curricula
- Physical Education Teacher Education
Most recent courses taught:
- 420:021 Movement Activities for Children
- 420:045 Physical Education in the Elementary Grades
- 420:173 Senior Methods Block
- 420:231 Effective Teaching in Physical Education