Donna J. Thompson, Ph.D.
Professor - Physical Education
- Thompson, D. & Hudson, S. (2006). Â¡Â§Working to make playgrounds Safe: A Case StudyÂ¡Â¨ in Proceedings from the First International Symposium on Playground Safety. Seoul , Korea : Korean Association for Safe Communities. pp. 21-54.
- Thompson, D. & Hudson, (2005). 11 th Ed. Â¡Â§Playground,Â¡Â¨ in T. Sawyer (Ed.). Facilities Planning for Physical Activity and Sport. Champaign , IL : Sagamore Publishing, 313-328.
- Thompson, D. (March, 2005). Â¡Â§Play as a Means for Learning,Â¡Â¨ Teaching Elementary Physical Education, 16(2) 28-29.
- Thompson, D. & Hudson, S., (March, 2003). Â¡Â§The Inside Information about safety surfacing.Â¡Â¨ Young Children. 27 (3) 108-111.
- Thompson, D. & Hudson, S. (2001). Children and Playground Injuries. In J.L. Frost (Ed.). Children and Injuries . Tucson , AZ : Lawyers and Judges, Publishers. Pp. 249-313.
Recent Professional Playground Safety Experiences
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National AfterSchool Association (NAA)
- Iowa School-Age Care Association (ISACA)
- National Parks and Recreation Association (NRPA)
- Executive Director: National Program for Playground Safety (1995-present), an acknowledged international and national expert in the field of playground safety with over 30 years of experience.
- Appearances on Good Morning America , Today Show, Later Today, Early Edition and CNN. Speaker at World Leisure Organization, NAEYC, AAHPERD, and other professional associations. SAFE Playground Certified.
University of Northern Iowa
103 Human Performance Center
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0618
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University (1974)
- M.A. Wheaton College (1966)
- B.A. Western Washington University (1961)
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD):Life member; Honor Award (2003)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Life Member American Society for Testing and Materials -1988- present
- Playground Subcommittees member of all; secretary of 2 National Recreation and Park Association member since 1988
- Western Washington University Lifetime Achievement Award (2005)