Christopher L. Kowalski, Ed.D.
Dr. Christopher Kowalski has been with the LYHS Division at UNI since 2000. Along with teaching classes in the area of youth development, his other duties include advising the students interested in Community Parks & Recreation and Youth Services. He is a founding member of Just For Kicks, a research and service collaboration specializing in research and publication in youth athletics.
- Kowalski, C.L. & Lankford, S.V. (2010). A comparative study examining constraints to leisure and recreational opportunities for youth living in remote and isolated communities. World Leisure Journal, 52(2), 135-147.
- Olsen H. & Kowalski, C.L. (2010). Enhancing program quality and care through Supervision. Afterschool Matters, 10, 37-43.
- Kowalski, C. & Waldron, J. (2010). Looking the other way: Athletes' perceptions of coaches' responses to hazing. International Journal of Sport Science & Coaching, 5(1), 87-100.
- Kowalski, C. & Harris, J. (July, 2010) Unique partnerships that work. Provider, 37-40.
- Waldron J.J. & Kowalski, C.L. (2009). Crossing the line: Rites of passage, team aspects, and ambiguity of hazing, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport .
- Kowalski, C.L. (2008). Avoiding the curse, North American Review, 48.
- Kowalski, C.L. (2008). Research Update: The volunteer coaching game plan, Parks & Recreation, 43, 1, 22-25.
- Kowalski, C.L. , Edginton, C.R., Lankford, S.V., Waldron, J.J., Roberts-Dobie, S.R., & Nielsen, L. (2007). Coaching efficacy and volunteer soccer coaches. Asian Journal of Sport & Exercise Science, 4(1), 1-5.
- Lankford, S.V., Kowalski, C.L. , Grybovych, O., Schuarte, G., & Neal, L.L. (2007). An examination of the benefits of leisure and recreation opportunities to residents of a remote and isolated community: A study of the Northwest Territories of Canada, ICHPER-SD Journal of Research, 2(2), 19-23.
- Cela, A., Kowalski, C.L. , & Lankford, S.V. (2006). Spectators' Characteristics and Economic Impact of Local Sports Events: A case study of the Cedar Valley Moonlight Classic Soccer Tournament, World Leisure Journal, 48(3), 47-53.
- Edginton, C.R., Kowalski, C.L. , & Randall, S.R. (2005). Youth Work: Emerging Perspectives in Youth Development. Champaign , IL: Sagamore.
- Kowalski, C.L. (2005). Morale, Motivation, and Leadership. Korean Recreation Association International Recreation Seminar (pp.58-66).
- Dieser, R.B., Harkema, R.P., Kowalski, C.L. , Osuji, I.P., & Poppen, L.L. (2004). The Portrait of a Pioneer: A look back at 115 years of Jane Addams' work at Hull-House- her legacy still lives on. Parks & Recreation, 39(9), 128-137.
- Gassman, J. & Kowalski, C.L. (Winter 2004). Traditional and Recent Approaches Within Youth Development. School-Age Review, 7, 29-32.
- Kowalski, C.L. (2011). The impact of intergenerational special event design, implementation, and evaluation on student learning in the leadership setting. Canadian Congress on Leisure Research 13, St. Catharine's, Ontario, Canada.
- Kowalski, C.L. & Dieser, R.B. (2011). Are Only the Benefits Endless? Looking at Disbenefits Associated with Recreation, Parks, and Leisure Programs and Services. Canadian Congress on Leisure Research 13, St. Catharine's, Ontario, Canada.
- Fuller K. & Kowalski, C.L. (2011). An analysis of pre-match training content for planned mentoring relationships between volunteers and youth. Canadian Congress on Leisure Research 13, St. Catharine's, Ontario, Canada.
- Waldron, J.J. & Kowalski, C.L. (2008). RC Grant Findings: Exploratory Investigation Into Athletes' Hazing Experiences. AAPHERD 123rd National Convention & Exposition, Fort Worth, Texas.
- Kowalski, C.L. (June 2005). Morale, Motivation, and Leadership. Korean Recreation Association International Recreation Seminar: Chuncheon, South Korea.
University of Northern Iowa
239 Wellness & Recreation Center
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0241
Ed.D. University of Northern Iowa (2007)
M.S. University of Idaho (1999)
B.S. Creighton University (1996)
- Leadership in Leisure, Youth and Human Services
- Programming of Leisure, Youth and Human Services
- Management of Leisure, Youth and Human Services
- Budget & Finance in Leisure, Youth and Human Services
- Philosophical Foundations of Leisure, Youth and Human Services
- Management of Non-Profit, Youth Serving Agencies
- Planning Strategies in Youth Serving Agencies
- Introduction to Youth Development
- Areas & Facilities for Leisure, Youth and Human Services
- Professional Leadership Practicum- Peer Advising
- Internship (Supervisor)
- Senior Project (Supervisor)
- Youth Development in Nonprofit Organizations
- Strategic Program Management
- National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA)
- American Alliance of Physical Health, Education, Recreation and Dance (AAPHERD)
- National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA)
- Iowa Parks and Recreation Association (IPRA)
- National Intramural and Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA)