Catherine Zeman, Ph.D., RRTTC, CNS
Dr. Zeman currently serves as the Chair and Coordinator of the Division of Health Promotion and Education.
Dr. Zeman received her Ph.D. in Preventive Medicine with emphasis on Environmental and Occupational Health form the University of Iowa and a Masters in Environmental Science from Southern Illinois University. Her undergraduate background includes degrees in nursing, biology, and Anthropology. She teaches classes in epidemiology, human diseases, environmental health, and environmental and occupational health regulations. Dr. Zeman is a member of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society and of the NAAAS Affiliate, National Association of Native American Studies.
Her research interests include: nitrates in the environment and their impact on human health with focus on children's health, industrial ecological principles of precision manufacturing, international health issues, understanding the health issues of underserved populations, environmental sustainability, workplace health and safety and wellness, and documenting pollution prevention practices on worker health and safety. Dr. Zeman was a Fulbright Scholar to Romania on environmental health issues during the Spring/Summer of 2004.
Dr. Catherine Zeman is also he Director of the Recycling and Reuse Technology Transfer Center , at the University of Northern Iowa where she oversees a staff of 15 student employees, researchers and full and part-time staff. She is an Associate Professor in the Health Division, School of HPELS , at the University of Northern Iowa .
- Zeman, C., (2006). Environment, Ethnicity, Health and Oppression: How an Environmental Health Systems Analysis using Exergy Concepts can Aid in Understanding Contributing Factors and Solutions to Environmental Health Disparities, a refereed paper in the monograph of the 14 th Annual Conference of the National Association of African American Studies, NAAAS and affiliates (NANAS, National Association of Native American Studies chapter ), September 2006, pgs. 892-912.
- Zeman, C., Rose, J., and Rich, M. (2006). The global water challenge: opportunities andoptions for sustainable manufacturing, Reviews in Environmental Science and Bio/technology , on-line, http://www.springerlink.com/content/8v30804737147134/ , August 22, 2006, 14 pages.
- Zeman, C. (2005). Infant Methemoglobinemia: Causative Factors. Environmental HealthPerspectives , vol.113, #12, December, pgs. A805-806.
- Zeman, C.1, B. Byrd2, A. Sinca3, M. Vlad4, D. Depken, (2005). Health Promotion Theory,Praxis, and Needs inTransylvania, Romania , The International Electronic Journal of Health Education , January 1, pg. 36-47.
- Zeman, C. L, I. Seuleanu, ; M. Sinca, ; A. Sinca A., ; D. Moga, ; and M. Vlad, (2005).Environmental Illness May Have Contributed to the Origins of Transylvanian Vampire Myths, International Journal of Global Health 3:2, 29-39.
- Zeman, C.L., Depken, D.E. and Senchina, D.S. Keys to Roma Health Issues: Poverty, Culture, and Ethnic Oppression: A Review of Literature and Discussion 2003, Ethnicity and Health , August, 8:3, pg. 223-249.
- Bauer, R. J., Vlad, M., Sinca, A., Moga, D., Mirestean, I. , and Zeman, C.L.* Field Methodology for the Determination of the Prevalence of Giardia Cysts and Cryptosporidium Oocysts in Drinking Water and Its Association to the Development of Diarrheal Disease in the Transylvania Region of Romania, Accepted for pending publication 9/03; Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium and Exhibition on Environmental Contamination in Central and Eastern Europe. Prague , Czech. Republic, September, 2003 pg.233-238. *Corresponding Author
- Zeman, C.L., Depken, D., and Trumbull, J. (2003). A Benchmarking Health andSafety Study of a Cross Section of the Recycling Industry in Iowa, Proceedings of 8 th Annual Solid Waste Association of Americas Trends and Challenges Conference , June, 2003.
- Zeman, C.L., Kross, B., and Vlad, M. (2003). Methemoglobinemia Risk Factors: Response to Avery and L'hirondel, Correspondence, Environmental Health Perspectives , March 2003, 111(3):A15.
- Zeman, C. L., Kross, B., and Vlad, M.(2002). A Nested Case Control Study of Methemoglobinemia Risk Factors in Children of Transylvania , Romania , Environmental Health Perspectives , August 2002, 110(8) 817-822.
- Ustyugova, I.V., Zeman, C.L., Dhanwada, K., Beltz, L.A. (2002). Nitrates/Nitrites Alter Lymphocyte Proliferation and Cytokine Production. Submitted to Archives of Environmental Contamination & Toxicology , Spring/Summer 2002.
- Zeman, C.L., Depken, D.E., and Rich, M. L., (2002). Review of the Research and Related Literature Impinging upon Composting and Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Global Warming. Compost Science and Utilization . Winter, 2002 10(1) 72-86
University of Northern Iowa
203 Wellness & Recreation Center
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0241
- Ph.D. University of Iowa
- M.S. Southern Illinois University
- B.S. Nursing, biology, and Anthropology