Thank you for your interest in Educational Leadership and Postsecondary Education at UNI. We work with rising leaders in PK-12 education who aspire to be lead teachers, principals and superintendents as well as professionals in academic advising, admissions, residence and other aspects of working with college students toward success. Our passionate, award-winning faculty are known for their student-centered approach to learning that connects theory to practice through hands-on experiences in a rigorous, dynamic and supportive environment. Our alums step forward into leadership roles in educational institutions across Iowa, the USA and indeed, the world.
Take a few minutes and learn about our team. Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook. Come explore our beautiful campus. How ever you choose to engage, we welcome your interest and look forward to sharing more about our programs and where they can take you.
Nicholas J. Pace
Head, Department of Educational Leadership and Postsecondary Education
Points of Pride:
- UNI ranks 18th in the nation based on the affordability and quality of distance education offerings in 2014-15, receiving the top ranking among Iowa universities by AffordableCollegesOnline.com.
- Nearly a third of Iowa's teachers and approximately 37% percent of school administrators come from UNI, with 500 new teachers graduating each year.
- US News & World Report ranked UNI #2 in the 2015 Best Regional Universities (Midwest Category) in 2015.
- The UNI College of Education has served more than 250 schools, 1,500 educators, and 75,000 students through professional development, classroom instruction, and student activities.
- More than 12,000 alumni educators live across Iowa, with 1,330 in Black Hawk County and nearly 1,200 in Polk County.
- TeachTomorrow.org ranked UNI #13 nationally for Best Online Master's in Education Degrees in 2015.
- Since 1986, more than 90 students have earned their Doctor of Education (Ed.D) degree from UNI.
- UNI was named a 2015 Military-Friendly School by G.I. Jobs Magazine, a 2014 Military-Friendly University by Military Advanced Education and a 2015 Best for Vets College by the Military Times.
What's Happening . . .
Drs. Tim Gilson & Leigh Martin make trip to American School of Bombay (Mumbai) for MAE International Teacher Leader Program
Dr. Tim Gilson and Dr. Leigh Martin visited the MAE International Teacher Leader students in the UNI Cohort at the American School of Bombay, Mumbai over Thanksgiving break last November. Gilson and Martin had the opportunity to visit with current students in person and promote a potential second cohort at the American School of Bombay.
UNI's College of Education Acknowledged as a Top Graduate Program
UNI's College of Education (COE) ranks among the best in the nation, according to the 2013 edition of "Best Graduate Schools," published by U.S. News & World Report. All graduate programs within the COE's five departments were acknowledged for their high quality, earning the COE a ranking of 127 out of 274 programs reviewed. For details, visit http://www.usnews.com/education.
UNI Recognized for Best Online Master's in Education
UNI has been recognized by two independent organizations, TeachTomorrow.org and BestColleges.com, as offering online graduate programs in education that ranking in the top 20 in the country for 2015.
"It's well know that an abundance of online graduate programs exists for educators, so it's especially gratifying to be recognized for having some of the best online programs in the country," said Kent Johnson, Dean of Continuing Education and Special Programs. "UNI's faculty and support staff do a fantastic job in making affordable, high-quality distance learning offerings available to educators who are seeking an engaging, meaningful degree. We hope that adult learners who are in search of flexible, high-quality online opportunities give us a look."