How To Apply
Application Procedures for Master of Arts in Education (MAE) and Advanced Studies Certificate (ASC) (Principalship) Applicants in Educational Leadership:
Please indicate the following:
1. Degree status with a major in Principalship (Code 268)
2. 26P (Principalship) for Advanced Studies Certificate (ASC) if you are interested in the Principalship (already have your MA/MAE)
Note: There will be a $50 application fee for application for admission to the program (unless you graduated from UNI with a B.A. or M.A.E.).
Applicants need to submit a portfolio of materials which supports the application for admission. This portfolio includes:
1. A letter of application, including a brief statement of personal motivation to seek an administrative leadership position or advanced professional development in the area of educational leadership.
2. A two-page typed, double spaced, one inch margin, 12 point type, applicant written essay on:
"What are the key critical issues facing PK-12 education and schools and how will your leadership impact those key issues?"
3. A vita which provides:
a) Educational Background
b) Leadership/Teaching/Work Experiences
c) Professional Development Activities/Professional Memberships
d) Related Activities (community involvement, other work with students/adults, etc.)
4. Three recommendations for admission --At least one of these should be from an administrator who is knowledgeable about your performance and leadership potential. Recommendations must be submitted on Recommendation Forms. No letters of recommendation will be accepted. Recommendations should be submitted electronically as an attachment to email@example.com.
5. A copy of applicant's Iowa Standard Teaching License (may also submit district licensure recommendation to convert Initial License to a Standard License), which verifies two years of successful teaching experience.
6. Transcripts - request an official copy of your transcripts be sent directly to UNI Admissions Office (Gilchrist Hall 002 c/o Graduate Admissions, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0018), unless all of your undergraduate and graduate hours are from UNI. "Official" means transcripts are sent directly from a Registrar to the UNI Admissions Office. No transcripts handled by students will be acceptable.
7. Upon receipt of a completed application portfolio, the applicant's portfolio will be reviewed.
a) An admission status recommendation will be determined by the Educational Leadership faculty.
(Students in the Advanced Studies Certificate (ASC) programs may be recommended for full admission immediately.)
b) The Educational Leadership faculty recommends admission to the Department Head for concurrence and approval.
c) Admission decisions will be made each year by mid to late May.
Send items 1,2, 3, 4, and 5 to the Department of Educational Leadership and Postsecondary Education, 508 Schindler Education Center, UNI, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0604 by Mid April each year.
The applicant is assigned to regular admission status or admission is denied. All students admitted to the program are assigned an advisor. Students are to schedule an appointment with their advisor during the first summer session on campus.
International Student Admission
Since international students are required to provide additional material prior to admission, materials should be requested from and submitted to: International Admissions, 2 Gilchrist Hall, UNI, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018.