- B.A. 1980, Iowa State University - Zoology
- M.S. 1987, University of Iowa - Science Education
- Ph.D. 1992, University of Iowa - Science Education
- What Makes A Difference in Schools
- Teacher Performance Assessment
- Characteristics of Effective Instruction
- Gender Issues in Science Education
- Using Technology as a Tool for Student Engagement
- Constructivist Teaching Strategies
- Student - centered learning/teaching
- Technology Tools in the Classroom
- Social views of the Nature of Science
- Constructivist Teaching Practices
- Assessing Teacher Performance
- Investing Students in Leadership in Schools
- 2011 Women in Innovation - Finalist
- 2010 PBS Teacher Innovator
- 2008 BEN Scholar
- 2007 Science Ambassador for Center for Disease Control
- 2005 Who's Who of American Teachers
- 2002 Distinguished Service Award - Iowa Science Teachers Section - Iowa Academy of Science
- 1999 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- 1999 Ross A. Nielsen Professional Service Award - UNI
- 1999 Fellow of the Iowa Academy of Science
- 1999 Tandy Mathematics and Science Teaching Award
- 1996 Outstanding Middle Level Educator
- 1995 Excellence in Science Teaching Award, Research Representatives from American Cyanamid, AgrEvo DuPont, DowElanco, Miles, Sandoz, Uniroyal, Valent and Zeneca
- 1994 Grout Museum Honor Roll Science Teacher of the Year
- 1993 Excellence in Science Teaching at the Junior High Level, Iowa Academy of Science
ISTS - Iowa Academy of Science
National Biology Teachers
National Science Teachers
$500,000 , Year-Long Student Teaching Pilot Grant, (in conjunction with Dr. J.D. Cryer, Chad Christopher and Becky Hawbaker) Iowa Department of Education, January 2014 – July 2015.
$600,000 to support the Technology One-to-One Initiative and the High Tech Classroom at Malcolm Price Lab School transitioning to Iowa’s Research and Development School (collaboration with Dr. Nadene Davidson, private donor, April, 2011.
Countryman, L. and M. Schroeder, (1996) Student-led Parent Conferences: Middle School Reforms That Work, Educational Leadership, 53: 7.
Countryman, L. Overview, Thought and Action, Fall, 1996.
Countryman, L. (1994) Make Science Relevant, Recent, and Responsive,. Science Scope, 17: 8.
Countryman, L. (1994) Students Leading Their Own Conference, Middle Level Educator, 13: 1.
Unruh, R., Countryman, L. and T. Cooney. (1992) Cycling Your Students Through Physics. The Science Teacher, 59: 5.