Information for Mentor Teachers
UNI’s cadre of outstanding mentor teachers for field experiences is integral to the quality of the program. Mentor teachers for field experience have standard Iowa licensure and are recommended by their building principals and/or school site coordinators as good models for preservice teachers. In addition, UNI strongly encourages mentor teachers to participate in workshops offered each semester for Level 2 mentoring and the reduced-cost graduate course, TEACHING 5133g Mentoring Preservice Teachers. More than 350 area teachers have completed this course to date.
Below are general roles and responsibilities for mentor teachers in every level of experience, followed by specialized guides and resources for particular experiences.
General Roles and Responsibilities
- Communicate willingness to mentor preservice teachers to principal or school site coordinator(s), indicating preferences for level and type of experience
- When possible, attend school’s orientation for field experience students.
- Model a variety of effective strategies in the classroom
- Communicate with field experience students regarding their teaching practices, including but not limited to beliefs, strategies, management techniques, procedures, and relationship building
- Encourage appropriate level of active engagement in classroom by preservice teachers and provide a variety of interaction opportunities
- Communicate concerns and questions to the Field Experience Coordinator, the Coordinator of Field Experiences, and/or the UNI professor of record or professor-in-residence
- Evaluate the preservice teacher’s progress and submit timely evaluations to the university
Mentor teachers should communicate concerns as soon as possible to their field experience coordinator, who will follow up with additional support and coaching. Concerns that are serious enough that they could impact the candidate’s ability to successfully complete the program should be documents through the Notification of Concern process. See https://www.uni.edu/teachered/professional-competencies for more detailed information.
Licensure Renewal Credit
Mentor teachers can earn licensure renewal credit, in recognition of the professional development inherent to mentoring. UNI provides licensure renewal certificates at the end of each semester. Contact Becky Hawbaker for replacement/duplicate certificates.
See www.iowa.gov/boee/forms/StudentTeacherCredit.pdf for more details.