Helping children become excited about learning can lead to a rewarding career in elementary education. Seventy percent of all students in the UNI College of Education major in Elementary Education under the Curriculum & Instruction Department. This division offers students many opportunities to observe teachers in action in diverse classroom settings and also participate in teaching.
Excellence in program organization
The Elementary Education major, the largest program in Iowa, includes a carefully planned sequence of courses that lead UNI students to deeply understand children and how they learn. This major may be combined with courses in early childhood education or middle school/junior high education. In addition, all students majoring in elementary education choose a minor in an area such as art, science, literacy, educational technology, physical education, or special education.
For an overview of the elementary education major go to http://www.uni.edu/icss/articulation/index.html
In elementary education classes, and all C&I classes, university students learn through hands-on experiences. For example, in a class on science teaching methods, UNI students actually do the activities they will teach in an elementary classroom. Classes in how-to teach include state-of-the-art techniques and skills based on best classroom practices. Our award-winning faculty is known nationally and internationally for their contributions to education.
Varied classroom teaching opportunities
Here are some of the ways UNI students become involved in diverse classroom settings:
- Observe elementary classroom teachers and conduct small-group and large-group lessons for a minimum of 100 hours.
- Observe and participate in classrooms at UNI's Malcolm Price Laboratory School that enrolls children from preschool through grade 12.
- Participate for an entire week in an area classroom while studying teaching methods in UNI classes.
- Develop a print and/or electronic portfolio documenting the student's professional preparation in the teacher education program and in the elementary classroom. http://ci-portfolio.wikispaces.com/
- Choose from a wide variety of classroom settings to complete a full semester of student teaching in Iowa or in other states and countries.
"The elementary education program provides students with countless opportunities to get involved in the classroom, and students are encouraged to evaluate why their teaching practices are important for children's learning." -Elementary Education student
Providing teachers around the world
Earning a teaching degree from UNI in elementary education is as close as you can get to a guarantee that you'll find a teaching job. Recently, 80% of UNI teacher education graduates have found teaching jobs - the others decided on another career path. Of those new teachers, 72% are teaching in Iowa schools. UNI's elementary education graduates are recruited by school districts from all over the nation and around the world at the UNI Overseas Recruiting Fair, one of the foremost teacher recruiting events.