The overall mission of the Culture and Intensive English Program (CIEP), which was established in 1982 at the University of Northern Iowa (UNI), is to provide International Students with quality intensive academic English language instruction and a cultural orientation to the United States in preparation for study at the University of Northern Iowa or other institution of higher learning. Through its many programs, events, and connections on and off-campus, the CIEP seeks to accomplish the following:
- Teach English as a second language (ESL) to students enrolled in CIEP classes.
- Provide students with the cultural knowledge and awareness which they will need to function well both academically and socially.
- Prepare students already enrolled in an academic program of study at UNI or preparing for enrollment to a college or university, with the academic skills necessary to be successful.
- Inform students about options and opportunities for academic study at UNI and encourage them to apply for admission.
- Recruit international students to the UNI campus in order to develop cross-cultural opportunities and educational opportunities for both Americans and international students.
- Serve as a resource for faculty, staff, and students at UNI who are interested in international education or the teaching of English as a second language.