Student Opportunities for Academic Research (SOAR) Awards
The SOAR awards support research activities for undergraduate students in the College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences. Undergraduate students from Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Computer Science, Earth Science, Mathematics, Physics, Science Education and Technology are eligible to apply. The awards, in amounts up to $750, are to be used specifically for costs related to research projects that are part of the student's degree program. All awards must be expended by June 30, with each fiscal year allocation clearly indicated.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Open to any undergraduate student with a declared major in one of the disciplines listed above who is enrolled for at least one credit hour of undergraduate research or a project based class in his or her STEM discipline
- SOAR awards support student research, so proposals should be written and submitted by students. Proposals may be submitted by individual students, or by groups/teams of students working on the same research project. Group projects are not eligible for multiple individual awards. The student’s research/faculty adviser must verify the intended use of the monies.
- Students may receive only one SOAR award during their academic career.
- Selection of award recipients will be based upon the scientific merits of the proposed project and adherence to the submission guidelines.
- Any revisions to the approved budget must be resubmitted for approval.
- Computer software and hardware, laboratory or field research supplies
- Relevant office costs (mailing, photocopying), library services
- Travel costs directly related to research activities
- External laboratory fees/costs
- Student wages, academic course fees
- Costs related to presentation of results (travel to conferences, thesis, publishing)
Application forms are available from the CHAS Dean's Office, departmental offices and the CHAS website. Applications must be submitted by the third Monday in September for fall semester and the first Monday in February for spring semester. Submit all materials to the Associate Dean, College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences, CAC 266, 0358.
- Cover sheet (Please use the form provided.)
- A narrative written entirely by the student outlining the research project (2-page maximum, 12 pt Times New Roman or similar-size font, 1-inch margins all around). The narrative should address the following:
- Overview of the project, including how it adds to the current research literature.
- How the student's academic and/or research background ties directly to the project.
- How the project will contribute to the student's overall education at UNI
- how the results of the project will be disseminated (conference, publication, etc.)
Students may be contacted to clarify any aspects of the narrative that are unclear.
- A one page budget sheet (provided) that includes description of item, costs per item, total number of items, total project costs. Additionally, a justification of the items must be included.
- SOAR Application