Resumes & Cover Letters
A resume is a sales document that highlights your education, experience, abilities, and accomplishments. When writing your resume, you must think from an employer perspective and communicate your qualifications and skills to show you are a good fit.
TOP 5 RESUME MISTAKES
- Errors: Typos and grammatical errors!
- Unique: Over stylized, unique layouts, and unprofessional paper
- Photocopy: Using the exact same resume or cover letter for every job application
- Objectives: Objective statements that are unspecific and lack focus
- Tasks: Focusing on tasks instead of skills or achievements
TOP 5 RESUME STRATEGIES
- Simple: Keep to one page, clean font (size 10-12) with one inch margins
- Demonstrate: Tell the recruiter how you gained experience and where
- Bullets: Use a bulleted list to describe your skills and experience on the resume
- E-mail: When e-mailing, convert your resume and cover letter to a PDF
- Online: Create a plain text version of your resume and cover letter to paste into company job boards