"I got the interview!?! Now what?"
The interview is your opportunity to show the employer that you are a good fit for their organization, talk more about your experiences, and relate your experience to the position. Follow these preparation tips to ensure that your interview experience is a success!
- Research: Research the employer using websites, print media, and your network (more info )
- Handshake: Use a firm handshake when meeting recruiter
- Respect: Treat everyone you meet with respect
- Introduction: Start off strong and be able to answer "Tell me about yourself"
- STAR: Use the STAR approach (Situation/Task, Action, Result) to answer behavioral based questions (more info )
- Examples: Give specific examples and details to back up all qualities
- Confidence: Smile, use good posture, and show genuine interest and enthusiasm!
What Doesn't Work
- Unprofessional appearance or dress, wrinkled clothing, poor hygiene (more info )
- Late arrival (best to arrive 10-15 minutes early!)
- Using "um," "like," "yea," "I guess," "you know," or "I don't know"
- Poor eye contact
- No prepared questions to ask recruiters (more info )
- Not sending thank you notes to all recruiters who interviewed you (E-mail or handwritten are acceptable)
Schedule a Mock Interview
UNI Career Services provides practice interviews for students. Call 319-273-6857 to schedule one today.